Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2009, 12:40 PM   #1

Top Won't Open: But Motor is Fine. Help!

Guys -- this is an odd one. For the first time, the top on my 2001 won't go down. The convertible top motor itself sounds perfect. The left side of the convertible mechanism seems to work perfectly. But the right hand side does not move at ALL. Zero -- zip. Even if my wife pushes the button and I try to pull up gently (and even not so gently) it will not move off the peg. Any ideas here?

I was talking and didn't notice this imbalanced opening attempt was happening. I came dangerously close to literally snapping the metal. I have at least one small pucker to show as a reminder.

Anyone else encountered this issue?

Advice much appreciated!!

d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #2

Don't know if this will help but I had a smiliar problem(not same). I had unhooked my black wire tension thingy's on each side under the painted cover, to access my engine. I forgot to hook them it back up. They are the metal wires coated in black plastic that attaches in the boot rim on each side of the engine. thats the best I can explain them. I doubt thats your problem, but might wanna check in case.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #3

Motor Cable Distortion

d18mike,

Sounds like the problem I had. The (speedometer like) cable that runs from the top motor to the gearbox can expand on the outside. This causes the inner metal part to disengage from the motor. I took off the metal end cap (ferule) and shortened the plastic cable jacket. Then put the ferule back on. It worked fine again. The hard part is getting the top's two sides exactly aligned again. I found this fix by doing a web search. Apparently, it is a common problem.

I hope this helps, and maybe one of the more experienced members can give you a better pointer.

Mark
MarkOfZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #4

Thanks guys -- I'll check these out. And any other suggestions that come in.

Now here's a twist on things -- I had planned to get a new top (w/glass) next spring. Cosmetically mine is looking a little beat. If this is mechanical issue and turns out to be beyond my limited capabilities, I suspect the thing to do would be to have the new top done now and let the pros sort it out during the fitting. I would guess they would be using new cables etc.?

Am I off base here?
Old 09-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #5

depends on which top you get. The retro fit with the small glass window just slides over your existing frame. The newer one, I think 93 and newer requires a new frame as the window is bigger.

For me the smaller window is fine, as 95% of driving is with the top down. It may differ for you.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #6

We'll I just took her for a ride -- I can hear that "loose change" sound which leads me to believe that a cable snapped or disengaged. I'll work on that as the most probable cause for the time being but would certainly welcome any other insight.

Thanks, guys!
Old 09-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #7

It's a cable issue as described before. Replacing the cable (and you should do them both) requires that everything be synchronized. For that, you need a drill - cordless is best, to set everything properly before inserting the cable ends into the motor.

Send me your email in a PM and I'll send you the procedure from the factory manual as a word doc.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote