Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 04:33 PM   #1

ebay Boxster Rear Speakers

I was wondering just how good or bad the rear speaker kit (like the one on ebay) actually sounds. It looks kind of wimpy since the openings in the rear storage compartment are small. Could other speakers be fit into the rear storage compartment also and be better?

I cant decide whether or not to buy them for my '06 Box. I dont really want to replace the head unit

TSS4LSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #2

It looks like the kits for sale on eBay are the OEM kits. I purchased a kit from a seller named Harvey (HarveyPNP@comcast.net was his e-mail address a few months ago.) Most opinions are that the Harvey kit is superior to the OEM, but I have not personally made a comparison.

You might want to find someone in your area who has installed the rear speakers and check out whether you think the improvement will be sufficient to justify the investment. I think it is. I also added a 6-channel amp from a 911 cabriolet and replaced the front dash speakers. Those three modifications took the sound from bad to decent, but I've heard better systems. I have a 986, so there may be a different outcome with a 987.

Here's a link to some installation instructions that might help you make up your mind: http://www.pelicanparts.com//techarticles/box_rear_speakers/box_rear_speakers.htm
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:26 AM   #3

I installed the rear speakers and found them to make a hugh improvement. I know they are small, but having sound near your ears makes it much easier to hear, especially when the top is down. Well worth the money.

Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:38 AM   #4

You'll hear more, yes, but you'll also completely destroy whatever soundstage you had. There's a reason why you'll never see a competition audio car with rear speakers.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
You'll hear more, yes, but you'll also completely destroy whatever soundstage you had. There's a reason why you'll never see a competition audio car with rear speakers.
Although I would normally (mostly) agree with a statement like yours, you can forget about creating an ideal soundstage in a Boxster. There's also a reason you'll never see a competition audio car with a rag top.

I don't think any of us are trying to build a competive sound system in the box, just trying to make it better while driving with the top down.

00' Boxster S, 00' E46 BMW - DD, 03' LR Disco - Wife's car, '84 300ZX turbo - owned for over 22 years, 82' 911 SC - Gone but not forgotten
Rob-00BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #6

I found that adding the oem rear speakers made a huge improvement to the sound, and filled in all the mid range frequencies that seemed to be missing.

From what I hear on the forums you'd need to replace the whole system (and then some) to get a quality sound system, but just adding the rear speakers was plenty enough for my ears and I'd definitely recommend them.
Paul_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:30 AM   #7

I just bought and added a pair of the rear speakers from Harvey. They were as described, easy to install and really fill out the sound.
JP308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
WTF

This is a Boxster we are talking about and a convertible (obviously) not an audio competition car.

The rear speakers do help fill the soundstage although if you are used to higher end audio you will only find the difference to be adequate at best, but for the price I do feel it is worth the investment. This is just my opinion based on my experience of adding the rear speakers to my box last week.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #9

I gutted my speakers front and rear and replaced them with infinity kappas and have a jvc hd50 head unit. This thing frickin rocks. 95% of my driving is with the top down. I set my volume at 38 to 42 out of 50 and It sounds amazing at any speed, but better at low speeds of course. search for the thread on hear if your interested. use the word "KAPPA" to find it.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote