986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Porsche Outperforms 10 Others (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21971)

Jaxonalden 09-03-2009 05:44 PM

Porsche Outperforms 10 Others

I just got my October copy of Motor Trend magazine and the Cayman S PDK was put up against 9 formidable contenders; Audi R8, BMW 135I, Cadillac CTS-V, ZR1, Camaro SS, Shelby GT500, Jag XFR, MX5 and the 370Z.

Here are a few quotes;

"Best sports car in the world" " I think its better than any 911" "Best handling car I've ever driven" "The balance is exceptional" "I'm not so sure the PDK needs paddles or push buttons at all. The transmission is simply brilliant on its own" and "Best drivers car"

Not bad for hard-top twin!! :dance:

Adam 09-03-2009 07:07 PM

Here's the link.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/112_0910_2009_best_drivers_car/index.html

blue2000s 09-04-2009 03:09 AM

Hmm, Where's Lotus, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Nissan's GTR, Rx-8. Instead they had a bunch of sedans and muscle cars with an Mx-5 sprinkled in. I'd hope the Porsche would win in that field, the proverbial gun in the knife fight.

Jaxonalden 09-04-2009 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue2000s
Hmm, Where's Lotus, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Nissan's GTR, Rx-8. Instead they had a bunch of sedans and muscle cars with an Mx-5 sprinkled in. I'd hope the Porsche would win in that field, the proverbial gun in the knife fight.

This test was about drivers confidence, usable power and ergonomics. Gee, guess to please everyone they should have had a 50 car field. :rolleyes:

Adam 09-04-2009 04:24 AM

I have to agree with Blue somewhat. That field of cars isn't exactly what I had in mind when thinking of "the best handling cars in the world."

Brucelee 09-04-2009 05:54 AM

Problem with many of these tests.

Seem like they should grab a bunch of two seatrs priced from say 40-75 grand and see how it all shakes out.

Still, you have to love the Box.

:D

gRed04 09-04-2009 06:29 AM

Not a roadster test

For those that havent read the article let me summarize.

They say they brought back last year's HANDLING winner ( assume the Porsche) and tested against 9 NEW cars in a subjective test about what is a good all around drivers car.

So not really a performance test at all. In fact the vette ZR1 scores around 6th because it was SCARY to drive fast :eek:

On another board the Camaro folks were really up in arms about this comparison as it came in last in about every category. Not sure I would agree with that.

Just goes to show once again these comparos are mostly worthless.

blue2000s 09-04-2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
This test was about drivers confidence, usable power and ergonomics. Gee, guess to please everyone they should have had a 50 car field. :rolleyes:

The test was to determine what today's best "driver's car" is. Do you consider a Jag sedan, a 4500 pound Cadillac or a Mustang a driver's car? Maybe we have different definitions.

Conventional wisdom would say that when a company sets out to built it's best driver's car, it starts out with some kind of a light(ish at least) small car. No one asked for a 50 car field, although maybe that would be better, but at least include driver's cars. What's the Elise known for? Or the 430, or V8 Vantage? Heck, I bet a sporty version of the Mazda3 would have beat out most of this field.

blue2000s 09-04-2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee
Problem with many of these tests.

Seem like they should grab a bunch of two seatrs priced from say 40-75 grand and see how it all shakes out.

Still, you have to love the Box.

:D

I agree with you on this one.

blue2000s 09-04-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gRed04
For those that havent read the article let me summarize.

They say they brought back last year's HANDLING winner ( assume the Porsche) and tested against 9 NEW cars in a subjective test about what is a good all around drivers car.

So not really a performance test at all. In fact the vette ZR1 scores around 6th because it was SCARY to drive fast :eek:

On another board the Camaro folks were really up in arms about this comparison as it came in last in about every category. Not sure I would agree with that.

Just goes to show once again these comparos are mostly worthless.

Last year's best handler was the R8.

gRed04 09-04-2009 11:33 AM

Quote:

The test was to determine what today's best "driver's car" is. Do you consider a Jag sedan, a 5000 pound Cadillac or a Mustang a driver's car? Maybe we have different definitions.

I think what R&T meant was what they considered the best "driver's car" of those cars in the test. Perhaps you or I may have a different opinion.

mptoledo 09-04-2009 01:02 PM

actually the Headline says it all "From Behind the Wheel of 10 of Today's Ultimate Performance Cars, We Pick America's Best Driver's Car"

Maybe they should have said top performance car under $xxx,xxx. or use top produced cars. You really need to throw in some other high end cars to make it real. But still a good article.

"Motor Trend is not looking for the quickest car over the quarter mile, the car that pulls the highest lateral g through a turn, or even the fastest lap time around a racetrack. The Best Driver's Car award process looks at expert qualitative feedback as well as quantitative data"

Winning characteristics/criteria
The winner will be a car that delivers a balance of useable performance, accessible handling, and driver-friendly design; a vehicle with a multidimensional personality that will delight and reward the enthusiast driver on any road at any time, regardless of weather and traffic conditions."

Adam 09-04-2009 02:06 PM

It would've been nice to see how these 2 cars would've placed. I consider these to be good handling cars.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m.../ACRviper1.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...y/P6110013.jpg

Jaxonalden 09-04-2009 04:36 PM

[QUOTE=blue2000s]The test was to determine what today's best "driver's car" is. Do you consider a Jag sedan, a 4500 pound Cadillac or a Mustang a driver's car? Maybe we have different definitions.

If you read the article you would find that the Caddy had 556hp, the 'Stang 540hp and the Jag 510hp. My definition of a drivers car is just what MT defined is as.

Again;

"The winner will be a car that delivers a balance of usable performance, accessible handling, and driver-friendly design; a vehicle with a multidimensional personality that will delight and reward the enthusiast driver on any road at any time, regardless of weather and traffic conditions."

blue2000s 09-04-2009 06:10 PM

[QUOTE=Jaxonalden]
Quote:

The test was to determine what today's best "driver's car" is. Do you consider a Jag sedan, a 4500 pound Cadillac or a Mustang a driver's car? Maybe we have different definitions.

If you read the article you would find that the Caddy had 556hp, the 'Stang 540hp and the Jag 510hp. My definition of a drivers car is just what MT defined is as.

Again;

"The winner will be a car that delivers a balance of usable performance, accessible handling, and driver-friendly design; a vehicle with a multidimensional personality that will delight and reward the enthusiast driver on any road at any time, regardless of weather and traffic conditions."

So we do have different definitions then. A "driver's car" has nothing to do with a horsepower number to me. Clearly, horsepower has little to do with winning this competition either. Which is as it should be.

They could put 1000 horsepower into my sweet old grandma's Camry. It will never be a driver's car.

litteng 09-04-2009 09:16 PM

rerun

don't get me wrong; i like it when my side wins, but let car&driver and road&track rerun the same set of equations, would the get the same answer?

neverthelless i would agree that the Boxster/Cayman is one sweet ride...

mptoledo 09-05-2009 12:59 PM

My take on the article was that the Porsche just felt like an extension of the driver. It focused you on the task at hand without having to thinkg about anything else. The vette scared him because of its raw power.

I think the audi was about rightly placed, oc course owning two audis I am biaed. The mazda placing so high really suprised me as did the nissanplacing lower than I expected.

The show top geared in an older episode featured a 911 cs against a bmw M6 and an aston martin db9. The 911 impressed two of the guys so much, one went out and bought a boxster and the other bought a 911. the cars are just that great to drive

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/man-fight
http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/man-fight-2
http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/man-fight-3
http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/man-fight-4

great episode. They really slam the BMW as the porsche blew all three away. Make sure to watch end of part 4 to see the 2 gang up on the host and profess their love for porsche!!

Lil bastard 09-05-2009 10:58 PM

ROAD & CRAP and MOTOR FLAVOR OF THE MONTH will NEVER be the definitive source for true evaluations of available motors PERIOD!

For one thing, they are dependent on advertisers and the Automakers goodwill to supply parts and steeds to be tested as well as operating revenue. This alone places their objectivity into question.

Secondly, what these rags don't know about cars would fill a football stadium!

Finally, there is really no real comparison to be had... totally apples to oranges!

Even within the Boxster lineup itself, there are vast differences between Base vs 'S', Manual vs Tiptronic and 986 vs 987 so how can one possibly compare it to a totally different car?

Oh, well they are all drop tops... or they're all within the same price point... or they all have four wheels... or they're all on planet Earth.

Truth is, a prospective buyer needs to actually touch, feel and drive any models they feel may have ownership potential and decide for themselves, which again, will be far from objective.

But, that's OK... there's a reason Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors...

:cheers: