Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 07:47 PM   #1

BMW OEM Tire Mobility Kit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160348983654&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

Just got this. Pretty neat. Looks like a much more complete kit than the 9x7 OEM tire compressor. Works with or without the tire sealant. Will be useful for regular tire pressure checks and track days.

This is the Porsche kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-TIRE-COMPRESSOR-NEW-AND-UNUSED_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14Q QhashZitem19b60c9b6eQQitemZ110428461934QQptZMotors Q5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:38 AM   #2

Cool, but wouldn't help with my recent flat. In all fairness, I drove on it until I found a safe place to pull off the highway; I knew the tire was dead already and just wanted to protect my wheel. I always keep a bottle of "Slime" in the trunk...works in a quick fix and doesn't gum up the wheel (washes off with water).
PCA DE Instructor circa '95

Last edited by jmatta; 08-28-2009 at 06:40 AM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:43 AM   #3

Jmatta,

Did you have a tire puncture that deflated the tire and then your driving on the flat tire then caused the damage in your picture, or were you having a sidewall separation issue originally that just got worse?

That's down right ugly.
Is that a Kuhmo tire?

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I just keep in my front trunk, a compact air compressor and tire plug kit. Don't like using that sealant gunk. Spent like $40 bucks for both items I think.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #5

Did you have a tire puncture that deflated the tire?

Yes, driving on a fairly desolate two lane highway with traffic moving 60 mph+ and nothing but shoulder. I slowed way down so the tire would not delaminate and destroy my fender well. After driving a few miles on the shoulder with hazard flashers, I was able to find a safe spot. Of course, the spare had virtually no air in it either, but I didn't care (need to carry an air compressor) since new spares can be picked up cheaply on eBay.

The tire (Kumho Ecsta MX) had a puncture in the inside 1/3rd that was repaired, but obviously didn't hold. That's why I didn't care if I destroyed the tire; it would have been replaced anyway.

"Slime" is a squeeze product that instantly seals a puncture, but stays gooey. It is not meant to be a permanent solution, like some of those tire sealant products that become permanently attached to your wheel/tire carcass and need to be scraped off. This stuff washes right off when the tire is pulled from the wheel.

Back to the BMW flat repair kit...maybe I need one of those.

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote