Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 10:45 PM   #1

Anyone use spacers without lowering springs?

Hey Everybody,

I just bought some spacers(7mm in front and 14mm in back) and am not sure about buying just lowering springs or saving up for the coilover option. So I'm just wondering if anyone has put on the spacers only without lowering the car. Does it look silly without the lowering springs? I have an 03S with 18" 5 spoke Carrera Lites. I guess a second question is if my intent with the car is to just enjoy spirited drives around town and not to track it, can I get away with using just lowering springs?

Any comments would be appreciated,

Greg

BeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:36 AM   #2

My '02 S has been lowered using H&R sport springs, as stock ride height is way too high, unless you're into off-road wheeling. Coilovers are very nice for their adjustability, but overkill for a street car. With regard to spacers, I run 8/10 X 18's on my car and have no need for spacers, as there is little room left in the wheel wells anyway (car was lowered about an 1.5" from stock).

You may also consider the Euro M030 option, as that is popular with owners.

What are your rim widths and offsets; and why do you feel the need for spacers?
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
pk2

Sure, I have almost the same set-up. It has a noticeable stance

I Like subtly, I also have wide18'' wheels but they're plain turbo twist style. Together they just make it a little proactive and passively aggressive. With the blower on the motor it can back it all up and then quite a bit more.

Regards, PK
Old 08-14-2009, 08:02 AM   #4
Ike

Lightbulb 03 S Wide n Low Look

Hey Mon,

This is a shot of my '03 S with 15 & & 7mm spacers and dropped almost 2" on Bilstein PSS9s running the same rims as yours. I do not think your Box would look absurd running the spacers without lowering, it would just push the wheels out into the arches and give a bit more muscle to your look and widen your track.

This setup does NOT rub. My "expert" wife complained BEFORE the mod that I would just be getting a rougher ride than the S already had (?) :troll:

But, her first ride with me was a 100 mile jaunt to Steamboat at dawn. We averaged 89 mph on 2 lane roads.......and she slept for half the trip......it is a better ride than stock.....both in terms of her "comfort", and most certainly in my hard cornering and braking.

Happy Trails,
Ike

Last edited by Ike; 08-14-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:58 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies so far,

Jmatta,

I'm not quite sure what my Rim width/offsets are. I'm not super savvy when it comes to knowledge about wheels, but if instructed I could measure them if it would help. The purpose of the spacers and springs is just to give the car a more aggressive stance without changing out the bumper or doing sideskirts(although that may happen anyway). I do like spirited driving but really aren't intending on taking it to the track. I am getting the Zeintop probably in about a month or so and figured while I am getting that installed, I could do the springs and spacers at the same time. I included a pic of the way my car looks now. Anyone have any thoughts on what springs/spacers might do to a CPO as I have mine through October?

Greg

Last edited by BeachBum; 08-15-2009 at 09:20 AM.
BeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
Ike

Lightbulb Another Look

Hey Dude,

'03 S, same spacers, same rims, & lowered.

Squint your eyes, think grey, and that's what you would get. Don't worry about my different bumper and skirts, they were designed to work at stock height and width and are not an issue.

Go for it,

Ike

P.S. Please resize your pics so they resolve less than screen size.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
Ike

3 and I'm out.

Hey Greg,

Here is the side on shot you asked for. If I keep posting snappies they will probably make me get my own forum "IkesBoxsterShots.dik"

Good luck,
Ike