986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Proud new owner (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21706)

Boxstar1 08-12-2009 05:07 PM

Proud new owner

Hey everyone. New to the Porsche scene, lol. I've recently obtained a 2001 Boxster S with 37k miles and I am absolutely in love with the car. My goal is to become more knowledgable about my car by browsing here. If anyone would like to point out some need-to-know threads or anything similar please feel free to list them.

At the moment I have a few problems I need to address with my Boxster.

-Squeeky Clutch
-Rattle from the hood while it's down
-Slight brake squeel
-Passenger side vanity mirror cover broke off
-CV joint is torn

Anyone else have similar problems and know of easy solutions? Would greatly appreciate it :cheers:

jjanari 08-12-2009 05:17 PM

congrats on the purchase.
of the problem areas listed, the torn CV boot is by far the most significant that needs to be fixed asap. if you get dirt in the joint because of a torn boot, you'll likely end up needing a new cv axle...not cheap.

here's a good site for DIYs, including the CV boot replacement:

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site/DIY_Projects.html

good luck.

-jimmy

Dave S. 08-12-2009 06:21 PM

My clutch pedal squeaked when I bought my used Boxster. A quick shot of WD40 in the linkage above the pedal and it was fixed.

Dave S.

sb01box 08-12-2009 07:16 PM

my 01 box has the vanity mirror hinge broke on the driver's side.
have two (black) velcro strips wrapped around the visor/mirror to hold it in place.
looking on ebay for inexpensive replacement with lights.
if you do not care about the light, then there are "European" flavor of the mirror assembly that can be had for <$20

RandallNeighbour 08-12-2009 07:19 PM

Where in our great state do you live?

If it's near Houston, we can get together and compare rides and talk about your car's issues. Great looking vehicle, BTW. I love red Porsches.

Fred Demara 08-12-2009 07:31 PM

Welcome to Porsche

My 2002 S engine died for the 1st time right around the mileage your at now. My engine died the second time at around 80,000. Might be worth looking into Jake Raby's upgrades - it'll cost you 13,000 when the engine dies, so worth the investment.

Enjoy the car!

Lordblood 08-12-2009 07:56 PM

Congrats on your purchase! Keep things in tip top condition otherwise the car will bite your bank.

Did you do a PPI before the purchase? If not I highly suggest you do now as you will find out ALL the issues your Boxster might have.

tnoice 08-13-2009 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred Demara
Welcome to Porsche

My 2002 S engine died for the 1st time right around the mileage your at now. My engine died the second time at around 80,000. Might be worth looking into Jake Raby's upgrades - it'll cost you 13,000 when the engine dies, so worth the investment.

Enjoy the car!

Don't scare the poor guy! I am sure your car will be great. Sometimes, Ignorance is Bliss!! It insures that you will not be thinking that your motor is going out after every bump and funny noise.

TimAustinW 08-13-2009 07:46 AM

Maybe it's my monitor but is that car pink?

:cheers:

Congrats on your new Boxster. You are going to love it more every day. Are you in Austin?

Boxstar1 08-13-2009 10:57 AM

I live in SW Houston. Would love to meet.

mptoledo 08-13-2009 12:10 PM

Welcome and Congrats!!

1st helpful tip I learned the hard way, when cleaning your new baby, be careful around the logo on the rear trunk as it will easily snag and it is fragile I had to superglu my B in Boxster S back together as my cloth rag snaged it. :mad:

2nd tip, stay away from ??W30 oils, stick with ??W40(some like ??W50) and change your oil at least every 7500 miles or once a year!!

Other than that if your a DIY'r then Definately check out pedros garage and our DIY'r thread on here.

You can always post a question on here as 99% of the people are very helpful. Just try to search 1st or you might get scolded if its a common, beat to death topic like oil, tires,... Remember there are no Dumb questions, just dumb people :D Just kiddin.