Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
2001 RUF 3800S

Just installed Maxspeed Headers, WOW

Im kind of over exaggerating with the title. I have a 01 Boxster S with 30k. I recently got a check engine light that read P0153 which is apparently the left pre cat o2 sensor. I bought maxspeed headers and 4 brand new oem bosch o2 sensors and after driving it for a bit maybe couple of hours I get the same check engine light? I think it’s impossible for me to have the same faulty o2 sensor in the exact same spot. What is causing this issue???

Side note: the headers are awesome. I have a stebro exhaust with straight pipes, really changed the sound of the car, also performance gains for sure.

violametallic-S- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #2

I don't think there's a way to avoid trigging the malfunction indicator light once you delete the cats. The pre- and post-cat O2 sensors are there to ensure the emissions system is doing its job - which clearly it isn't, since it's on your workbench or in your attic.

There are other tricks to try to get the sensors out of the exhaust stream enough to prevent the emissions warnings, like standoffs - someone one here has to have posted up with solutions.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
2001 RUF 3800S

I havent had any problems with CEL for the last few years even with my straight pipes and exhaust. I actually got it a few weeks after getting my BMC airfilter, doubt that is the cause thought.
violametallic-S- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #4

you might want to check the wiring to the o2 sensor. I had the same problem with my subaru and found it was the wiring and not the o2 sensor.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote