986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Horn blows when Braking (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21527)

gmboxster 07-29-2009 02:03 PM

Horn blows when Braking

Others may have had this problem. I let my car sit for about 5 weeks and when i drove it, it developed a problem i've never had before. Now when i brake and turn the steering wheel to the left the Horn blows continuously, Until i straighten the wheels or stop braking. Has this happened to anyone AND if so what did you do about it ??

Paul Fraser 07-29-2009 02:16 PM

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1728&hl=horn

kabel 07-29-2009 06:27 PM

Yes a common problem AND a common topic here on the forums... to quote myself:
Quote:

Originally Posted by kabel
The bushings in the horn frame have weakened and need repairing. See this very recent thread from just a couple weeks ago:
Stuck Horn

If you want to read more about it there are a few threads about that here and a really good one over on Rentech.com Horn Problem, Horn problem

other threads here on 986forum:

Please HELP! Horn going off on its own

My Car Honks When I Brake!!!

Horn doesnt stop Honkin...

:)

pk2 07-30-2009 08:50 AM

Didn't read the articles kabel is refering to but, a really down an dirty method to remedy the situation that will last forever is to simply blob 3M silicone form a gasket where the bushings used to be on both sides.

Lightly put the screws and the horn pad bracket back in. Shim it out the thickness of the original bushing (if you still have a decent one, about 2-3mm?). Let it cure over nite and presto. It will be stiffer but at least you won't be getting flipped off by the guy stopped in front of you any more. You might want to put some car wax on the back of the bracket so it dosn't stick to the frame if you want to take it apart

Mote: if its to stiff and you waxed the right surfaces, you can take it apart again and shave the thickness of the gasket stuff with a new utility knife blade,,. God I hope I didn't repeat Kabels links

Regards, PK

kabel 07-30-2009 12:35 PM

You did, but whatever. I need to go back and do that again, guess I didn't put quite enough on the first time.

RandallNeighbour 07-30-2009 05:30 PM

"My horn blows without my help" brings back a lot of memories. This was my first repair. Cost me $200 at the stealership. I didn't learn about the rig-fix until much later in Boxster ownership.

Now I have a 3 spoke and that doesn't happen to these wheels from what I hear (or don't hear).

gmboxster 08-09-2009 06:25 AM

Thanks so much guys for the good info. What an annoying problem !

PAULD 08-29-2009 06:09 AM

Horn Bushing

Just bought a 97 Boxter---I registered here and at Rentech--but cannot access the article for the bushing repair. could someone please email me or fax me the article.

Thanks paul

PDLISOWSKI@HOTMAIL.COM OR FAX 732 714 8562 CELL 732 673 5225

What will the dealer charge for this fix?

vath2001 08-29-2009 05:30 PM

http://e-partssales.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code =airbagframe&Category_Code=POTEBXCC

This is what the mechanic will change. You can do it yourself and save the labor costs. And keep trying the renntech site to see how its done.

PAULD 08-31-2009 01:10 PM

JUST bought a 97---same horn problem--BUT now I can't get it to blow. Fuse is ok and
I swapped relays even though I could hear it clicking.. I guess the horns are bad-maybe
one was working and it died.

I assume the bushing problen could not cause the two problems

vath2001 08-31-2009 03:24 PM

I'll explain my car's condition.

No horns. I pulled on the air bag and heard click.. push in, click, pull out click.
My air bag bracket was bad and both horns were bad. The previous owner had just changed the battery before he sold me the car. The bracket was bad, causing the horn relay to stay closed and it would drain the battery if the car sat too long. And since both horns were also bad, he never knew about it.

Repaired bracket: $0, used some tube and goop; High and low horn, $36 from Pelican.

You have to pull off the front bumper to change the horn... search Youtube for "Boxster bumper" and you'll find a good video showing how to DIY.

jim_hoyland 05-23-2012 03:33 PM

I'm happy to see I wasn't the first one with this problem. Drove into town and every signal I braked for caused the horn to blooooowwwww. Came home and searched this forum, found several solutions, and started the repair. This board really helps. Thank you:cheers:

dan.oneufer 05-23-2012 03:51 PM

I would have thought Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond would be the most likely cause of this symptom.