986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   dumb question of the day! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21430)

tnoice 07-21-2009 06:21 AM

dumb question of the day!

Each day I have the top down on my Boxster, I go out to the garage at night to make sure I put the top back up. Are there any long term side effects if I simply keep the top down all summer or for extended time periods?

I do realize that with the hard tops the top is stowed in the down position, so that is why it is the dumb question of the day. Just curious about other's opinion.

Thanks, and have a glorious tuesday! :dance:

jmatta 07-21-2009 07:54 AM

I see no problem, unless your garage is dusty and dirty...don't want that stuff accumulating in the interior. The worse you'll see is some creases in the canvas, but most of us have those already. Give the top a good coat of RaggTopp and you should be good.

9eighty6 07-21-2009 08:10 AM

FYI - my top is in the down position (under a hard top) from October - May. I have no issues / problems at all.

yimmy149 07-21-2009 08:53 AM

I think some people recommend placing a towel inside the fold of the plastic window (if you have one) to prevent scratches/sticking if you are going to leave it down for an extended period and enjoy spirited driving.

I don't keep it down long enough for that, but I do always wipe down the exterior of the window with a microfiber cloth before putting the top down.

-james

mptoledo 07-21-2009 10:29 AM

Do you have cats? or other critters in your garage? LOL I found cat hair(I hope) on my seats and carpet. Male cats are know to mark their territory(spray) even if fixed sometimes(luckily not in my car). :D I should have set the alarm. :D

Other than that i would think, logically, that it would be better all around to leave it down. Just make sure the window doesnt bend the wrong way when you lower it. You might have to stop and help it a couple times. :cheers:

vath2001 07-21-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmatta
I see no problem, unless your garage is dusty and dirty...don't want that stuff accumulating in the interior. The worse you'll see is some creases in the canvas, but most of us have those already. Give the top a good coat of RaggTopp and you should be good.

RaggTopp?? Ok, never heard of it. Is this stuff snake oil or does it really help?

And I have had my top down for the last month. Seems like whenever I put it up, a bird finds me..

70Sixter 07-21-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vath2001
RaggTopp?? Ok, never heard of it. Is this stuff snake oil or does it really help?

Good stuff.

As far as leaving the top down goes, you are improving the odd of permanent creases. Stretch it out every chance you get. Top up! :)

pk2 07-21-2009 11:32 PM

I do..about t months, 40% of the time.Lazy. the only thing I've noticed is the exposed part of top peeking out from under the clam shell, it,slightly fade.

PK

Lil bastard 07-22-2009 05:58 AM

Quote:

And I have had my top down for the last month. Seems like whenever I put it up, a bird finds me..

Raggtopp is probably the best cleaner/protectant system for fabric tops on the market - RaggTopp

Since buying my car new 11 yrs. ago, my top is up 6 mos./yr. while in storage and then down for 6 mos. during the warm months. The only time it has ever been up during the summer is to wash the car and when I treat the top every other or third year with RaggTopp.

Creases are unavoidable with a fabric top, eventually, any fabric top will get them. I also have the OEM rear window pad (no longer available) which I attach when lowering the top. My rear plastic window is still clear and crease free.

:cheers:

tnoice 07-22-2009 07:07 AM

Thanks for all of the feedback. I do not have any cats, and for the most part, my wife would say that the garage is spotless, so very little dust. Sounds like the only issue that would be encountered is creases.

husker boxster 07-22-2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Seems like whenever I put it up, a bird finds me..

My buddy and I just got back from a 4-day golf trip to Des Moines. Drove his car. He parked it under a tree at the hotel last night. When we were packing this morning, we found it in this condition. Extremely gross. :eek:

1 trip through the car wash didn't get everything off. Those birds sure must have been having a lot of fun leaving their artwork on his car.

http://i32.tinypic.com/21aahxw.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/2releuq.jpg

ramo80 07-23-2009 10:35 AM

My brother use to work for a car detailing company in Toronto and he told me that they usually find bugs and spider nests in places you won't believe in high end convertible cars. this is mainly due to owners leaving cars with the top down in their garages.

Adam 07-23-2009 11:44 AM

Tim, just leave it down. Since you have the glass rear window, you don't have to worry about creases like the plastic window guys. Plus, the top is a mechanical part and needlessly lowering and raising it will just wear out the components quicker.