Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
Q98

Unhappy Losing antifreeze

Would a failed water pump be the cause for losing antifreeze? I have a 98 boxster and I noticed it was low on antifreeze. When I tried to replace the antifreeze it just leaked out onto my drive way.

Q98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q98
Would a failed water pump be the cause for losing antifreeze? I have a 98 boxster and I noticed it was low on antifreeze. When I tried to replace the antifreeze it just leaked out onto my drive way.
It depends on where the antifreeze is falling on the driveway in relation to the location of the water pump and/or the coolant tank, and/or possibly the radiators and hoses/clamps.

If the water pump fails, it can drip coolant from the weep hole. Coolant from a failed or failing water pump will land in the driveway just to the rear of the rear firewall, a little towards the passenger side but very close to dead center.

Also check under the coolant tank and under the rear trunk "carpeting". That coolant will usually end up behind the right rear wheel.

Where is it leaking onto the driveway?

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #3

The coolant tank failure is common in the 986 - have a look here:
http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/tech/tech9-03-2003.htm
Old 06-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
How low was it on coolant? Was this the first time you checked it or was it low in relation to the last time you checked?

Coolant tank failure would leak into the trunk. If it leaked out of the overflow (located above passenger rear wheel), then there was most likely an air bubble in the coolant system from you topping it off. This happened to me and you just need to refill the car with coolant, it's 50/50 coolant/distilled water. You can take it to your dealer like I did when this happened, but I paid $700 to be told it was an air bubble.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #5

it happened to my 98 as well, turned out to be the reservoir cap... just tighten it a bit more or have it replaced, there are some recalls I think.
edbelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:37 AM   #6
Bry

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbelton
it happened to my 98 as well, turned out to be the reservoir cap... just tighten it a bit more or have it replaced, there are some recalls I think.
This was my problem also. I replaced the cap with the newer part number and all is well!
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
first try new part number cap (cheap and easy)
also, check where its leaking, i accidentally ran over a brown bag that had a bottle, and put a slit on the rubber hose on the bottom, and leaked out.
can be a few things, and like mentioned, those reservoirs are prone to leaking...
good luck and let us know
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
DJ, you back in a Boxster, or still driving that boat of a Benz S class?

Regardless, welcome back on the forum...hadn't seen ya in a while.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #9

I also have a "leak" or more like evaporation of coolant... I tracked it down to bleeder valve.. it's closed.. but vapors are still coming through.

Should there be a gasket on bleeder valve? I took it out. and to my surprize there was no gasket there..

If yes.. can anyone point me to part nr.. or where to get it?

Thanks
Sasha
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha055
I also have a "leak" or more like evaporation of coolant... I tracked it down to bleeder valve.. it's closed.. but vapors are still coming through.

Should there be a gasket on bleeder valve? I took it out. and to my surprize there was no gasket there..

If yes.. can anyone point me to part nr.. or where to get it?

Thanks
Sasha
There is an o-ring:
http://boxster.wikia.com/wiki/Engine

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
DJ, you back in a Boxster, or still driving that boat of a Benz S class?

Regardless, welcome back on the forum...hadn't seen ya in a while.

ahhaha
yeah i still got it, although, i am selling it and would like to get an R53 cooper S
random cars all over hahaha
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:27 AM   #12

coolant leak

Coolant cap, coolant line, coolant tank, water pump going, heater core, ac drain.
Simple process,......have a pressure test done at the dealership from the coolant tank.
Kale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:01 AM   #13

I'm having a coolant problem in my 03S as well. Two weeks ago my low coolant light started blinking and it's been losing coolant pretty consistently ever since (coolant light will go off about 3-4 days after topping off if I don't keep up it with). I tried replacing the cap without success.

Today I finally took off the under panel to get a good look at it. The location of the leak seems clear, although I couldn't get it to leak as much as it has been. Pictures are attached. Thoughts? Does the water pump need to be replaced?

Best,
Greg
gwellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwellman
I'm having a coolant problem in my 03S as well. Two weeks ago my low coolant light started blinking and it's been losing coolant pretty consistently ever since (coolant light will go off about 3-4 days after topping off if I don't keep up it with). I tried replacing the cap without success.

Today I finally took off the under panel to get a good look at it. The location of the leak seems clear, although I couldn't get it to leak as much as it has been. Pictures are attached. Thoughts? Does the water pump need to be replaced?

Best,
Greg
Greg:

If you look at your two photos, you can clearly see that there is dried coolant residue that has originated from the point at which one leg of the Y-hose is connected to the tube at the side of the thermostat.

I would eliminate that possible leak source before worrying about the water pump. Rotate and re-install (or replace) the factory spring clamp that is visible in your photos. If that does not stop it completely, you may have to remove the clamp, remove the hose and thoroughly clean all of the dried residue and/or cosmolene that may be on that tube before re-installing the clamp.

I had that issue recently and it required a cleaning (no easy task) of that tube to completely stop the leak.

You may prevent some of the coolant from escaping while you do the work by using a pair of clamping pliers to temporarily seal off that hose 3 or 4 inches from the end of the hose.

Please let us know how you make out.

Regards, Maurice.

Last edited by schoir; 06-20-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: spelling correction
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote