986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Newest addition to the family! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21268)

AUDIOGUY 07-06-2009 06:27 PM

Newest addition to the family!

Well, we brought home our newest member tonight.

2006 BMW X3 sport. Silver gray metallic with black leather. Great vehicle.
Only 31k miles and covered with full maintenance and warranty till 50k.

This is for my wife to drive primarily. I am worried though, she passed me on the interstate coming home doing 90!! I think I have created a monster!

Here are a couple of pix.

Cheers,
joe

Lordblood 07-06-2009 08:19 PM

I hope you weren't driving your Box when she overtook you...An SUV overtaking a mid engined sports car is just...sad :P.

It looks really nice, congrats! I have to ask though, I usually don't believe Top Gear anymore but Jeremy Clarkson made that car seem like a really bad pointless machine. How is the ride quality? How are the plastics inside? I've never had a good look in an X3 so I'm hugely curious.

TimAustinW 07-06-2009 08:23 PM

Nice! We just replaced our Saturn Vue with a black 2006 BMW X3. Love it so far!

AUDIOGUY 07-07-2009 02:42 PM

Lord,

Well, think of a nicely equipped 3 series sedan sitting up a few inches with a hatchback. The X3 handles amazing... I like the steering feel more than my Box.. I know scary. The interior leather is nicely done with a nice texture and that German smell. Plastics are decent... alot better than the cheap interior of our Envoy. Great panaramic sunroof goes over front and back seats. Steptronic trans is effective and will even downshift automatically if you are between gears and need to accelerate. Braking is on par with a 3 series. It has great supportive and comfortable seats.. You can firm them up with the lumbar adjuster etc. Dual power and heated seats, heated steering wheel. Good ergonomics and driving position. I cant really think of anything bad to say right now.

I will let you know...and considering Jeremy bought a Ford GT that doesnt start half the time,... can we really trust his opinion? ; )

cheers!
jd

RandallNeighbour 07-07-2009 04:23 PM

It's fun to walk out to my garage and see a Pcar and a BMW in it.

As a kid I dreamed of owning both, but I never thought it would happen at the same time.

Enjoy that X3 and do tell the wife to keep the speed down. The BMW has great brakes on it, but her center of gravity is not the best in a SUV and emergency braking and maneuvering can easily flip that vehicle.

ChrisZang 07-07-2009 04:30 PM

Gentlemen,

if I may ask, how much did you pay for them?
I have an X3 in mind as an addition to my garage as well...

kabel 07-07-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
It's fun to walk out to my garage and see a Pcar and a BMW in it.

I discovered that feeling this weekend too!

Nice ride Joe!

AUDIOGUY 07-07-2009 05:42 PM

Chris,

My budget was $25k. We were right there....
I have to say that after seeing a handful of other cars, the one I bought was
the lowest mileage, has factory warranty and maintenance till Sept of next year and was ding free. I would have liked xenon lights, but it seems one in ten cars are equipped with them. The interior is almost flawless. 90% tread left on Pirelli Scorpions, brakes show no signs of wear, it was a 1 owner vehicle lease turn-in.

Our local BMW dealer wanted 32k for the same car... needless to say, we did not buy it from there.

I was also able to snag 3.99% financing!

Kirk 07-08-2009 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUDIOGUY

WHAT!!! OMG, that's amazing!!!

In a couple years I'm going to get rid of my '98 Montero SUV and go to something different (but still a SUV). I'm considering either a BMW, Porsche, or V6 Toyota RAV4. Give us a long term review once you've driven the beemer more.

Kirk

ChrisZang 07-08-2009 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUDIOGUY
Chris,

My budget was $25k. We were right there....
I have to say that after seeing a handful of other cars, the one I bought was
the lowest mileage, has factory warranty and maintenance till Sept of next year and was ding free. I would have liked xenon lights, but it seems one in ten cars are equipped with them. The interior is almost flawless. 90% tread left on Pirelli Scorpions, brakes show no signs of wear, it was a 1 owner vehicle lease turn-in.

Our local BMW dealer wanted 32k for the same car... needless to say, we did not buy it from there.

Thanks,

looks like we're exactly on the same page here, let's see if the "price is right" on the left coast...

AUDIOGUY 07-08-2009 02:29 PM

Kirk,

I went thru Citadel Federal Credit Union... Out of Phila PA.

Try your local credit union... I was shocked at the rate!!
Of course, my credit is over 750...that helps.

Best of luck!
jd

ChrisZang 08-04-2009 07:50 PM

Well I followed suit and added an X3 to "our family"
Turned out it IS a buyer's market:
2006 X3, Xenons, 30k miles, $22k
looks and smells like new and is LOTS of fun to drive
And to top things of: Same color as my Boxster :cheers: