Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #1

Cooling system bleeding - help

My car's up on stands and I've drained as much coolant possible by pulling the little bottom engine drain plug and removing the hose clamps - as per the Bentley manual - in preparation for a coolant pump and serpentine belt change. Haven't pulled the drain pan, but it looks like ~3 gals have drained. Ideally I'd like to get more out before pulling the pump in order to minimum what ends up on the floor.

Any inexpensive, low tech suggestions on how to maximize controlled removal of as much of the remaining coolant as possible? I'd spend up to $50 on a simple pumping mechanism, but haven't been able to find anything. Super low tech is OK, too.

I've already bent over and paid $34/gallon for the new coolant at the dealer, so I'm assuming getting every last bit of the old stuff out, which didn't look that bad, isn't critical.

Thanks,

Gary
'02 S w/67k mi

Last edited by gschotland; 07-01-2009 at 09:02 PM.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #2

Gary - I didn't think you had to do any more than you have done - except raising the front of the car to remove any fluid laying up there & opening up the bleed valve.
I'm just waiting for my supplier to receive his coolant stocks next week when I will be replacing mine (2001 S with 68,000km). I will be leaving the pump but am seriously considering getting a Flat6 low temp thermostat while the coolant is out.
Let us all know how your changeout goes.
Steve
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:05 AM   #3

yes, I wouldn't do anything additional. I would be more focused upon making sure you bleed the system properly before you shove off...

if you wanted, you could flush the system with some distilled water, which I did.

also, I would definitely look into the cheaper coolant alternatives the next time.

jjanari is offline   Reply With Quote