986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   how much does an engine cost? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21211)

tonycarreon 07-01-2009 02:01 PM

how much does an engine cost?

no i'm not asking. but i figured someone else would and eventually post the question, so maybe if they use search, they'll find this post.

so anyway, i had a warranty co. contact me saying they had great prices, great coverage, etc...

well the only thing i would want a warranty for would be an IMS failure, which as we all know pretty much means "call raby, or get another boxster." i asked if they covered an IMS failure and he said if it's internally lubricated it's covered. so i said "well you know an IMS failure means engine replacement. it's not fixable." so he said he needed a part number to be sure it was covered.

just contacted a local dealer to get the part number and he gave me the price...

$12,284.57, not including "other" parts, labor, fluids, etc. and of course this is for a rebuilt, not a "brand new" engine.

i can't wait to see what the warranty guy says for that. :p

meant to add this is specific to my car - 01 base + tip. @ Maryland stealership. so you might find a higher or lower price, depending on whom you contact. and i don't mean to open the whole warranty vs. slush fund debate. i don't look very highly on warranty companies. at least you know the can buried in your backyard isn't go to go out of business tomorrow.

Steve Tinker 07-01-2009 06:03 PM

So, by the time you pay for engine removal, installation of new unit, replacement of coolant/oil/clutch et al, the bill will be over $16k. For a reman engine - Phew.......
Jake Raby's upgraded 3.6 is looking better & better.

cas951 07-01-2009 06:14 PM

What does Jack Raby charge for a typical 3.4 rebuild? Curious.

Jake Raby 07-01-2009 06:23 PM

My engines range from 15-18K. Based from YOUR complete engine.

The first stage 3.6 engine costs exactly the same as my 3.2 because the parts and labor are the same between the two, at our fully upgraded level.

The same goes for the 3.4 base engine.. The first stage of 3.6 also costs the same as a stock 3.4 build.. The 3.2 and 3.4 base engines are the same.

These prices do include a new clutch assembly, and fully updated internals, delivered turn key to your door fully dyno tuned and no need for break in...

A new factory engines comes in a crate and has NEVER been fired up or tested.

Adam 07-01-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cas951
What does Jack Raby charge for a typical 3.4 rebuild? Curious.

I didn't see a 3.4L conversion listed, but he'll take a 3.2L and make it a 3.6L with upgraded internals for $15,000. His website is linked in the top right hand corner with all the details.

Fred Demara 07-01-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonycarreon
i asked if they covered an IMS failure and he said if it's internally lubricated it's covered. .[/B]

I would get that in writing. A very close friend had US Fidelis for his BMW 540i...when he got the coverage, they asked him the mileage...he told them it was about 84,300 (it was really about 84,220, but he figured he'd round up)..the us fidelis rep told him exact mileage wasn't important - as long as he was within 100 miles of the correct mileage

His transmission died, and they denied the claim because he was 38 miles "under" the mileage requirement.

Not nice people - if you do a google for "US Fidelis" and "Fraud" you'll get the idea.

Jake Raby 07-02-2009 07:11 AM

Ummn,
The IMS bearing is NOT internally lubricated by the engine's oil system!! It is a SEALED BEARING that is permanently lubricated at the time of manufacture.

That is the major reason that it fails.

tonycarreon 07-02-2009 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
Ummn,
The IMS bearing is NOT internally lubricated by the engine's oil system!! It is a SEALED BEARING that is permanently lubricated at the time of manufacture.

That is the major reason that it fails.

excellent! thanks jake. see that's why i don't do engine work...

the parts listed, from the contract they sent me:
- engine block and cylinder heads and all internally lubricated parts including pistons, piston rings, pins and cylinder sleeves;
- crankshaft, pulley, main bearings, caps and bolts;
- connecting rods, rod bearings, caps and bolts;
- camshaft(s), camshaft bearings, buttons and plugs;
- timing gears and timing chain or belt;
- rocker arms, rocker arm pivots, shafts and bushings;
- intake and exhaust valves, springs, guides, adjusters, retainers and seats;
- pushrods and lifters;
- intake manifold;
- exhaust manifolds;
- balance shaft;
- water pump;
- fuel pump;
- thermostat;
- oil pump;
- cover, gears, pressure relief valve and screen;
- rotor housing, rotors, shims and silent shaft;
- all internal fasteners, nuts and bolts;
- turbocharger/supercharger assembly including boost valve and wastegate;
- seals and gaskets.

Jake Raby 07-02-2009 09:02 AM

Thats obviously a list of generic engine components... The last time Porsche used a rocker arm it was in the 912E engine...
I'd specifically ask them about the IMS bearing.

tonycarreon 07-02-2009 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
I'd specifically ask them about the IMS bearing.

yeah i have a few times. no one has been able to tell me a definitive "yes" or "no" and the guy i spoke with today said they're calling it the "balance shaft" and that it is covered, as long as i've performed the manufacturer update to it. i said "there's no update for the intermediate shaft, but there are some third-party replacement components" and he insisted there was a porsche update and unless that was done an IMS failure would not be covered.

i hung up.

Frodo 07-02-2009 03:16 PM

Quote: "i hung up."

Posted by tonycarreon.

Good move...