986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Steering column & turn signal help (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21164)

yimmy149 06-28-2009 01:40 PM

Steering column & turn signal help

My turn signals stopped canceling themselves after making turns a couple weeks ago.

I took off the steering wheel today to take a look, and found some plastic bits floating around the steering column. I'm attaching photos of the parts, and the control stalk assembly in case someone can help me identify where they are from and what I need to replace.

I forgot to put anything in the photo for scale, but the larger piece of plastic is similar in size to a US dime.

-james

Lil bastard 06-28-2009 05:17 PM

The bits are the turn indicator canceling mechanism. Clearly, this is why it no longer functions.

The entire assembly must be replaced as the parts are not available separately, so you cannot repair it. That means new wiper/turn indicator/cruise control stalks along with the center piece and electrical connectors. The stalk covers will not be included and will have to be either purchased separately or swapped from the existing unit.

If you don't have the OBC function w/ 4th stalk, now would be a good time to consider the upgrade.

Contact Sunset for the best new prices of try to find the unit at any of the reputable wreckers: LA Porsche, Oklahoma Foreign, etc.

:cheers:

yimmy149 06-29-2009 04:16 PM

Thanks.

I took a look at the guides for the OBC, doesn't sound to bad. I don't really want/need it, but it's only $40 more for the part that includes it. My biggest concern is damaging the gauge cluster or wiring harness while wiring it up. Is that likely?

Another question, one of the grounds (?) from the clockspring to the steering wheel broke. It would probably be easy for me to repair - but I'm wondering if I should just replace the whole spring ($150) while I'm in there. Do they fail often on these cars?

-james

Lil bastard 06-29-2009 06:02 PM

The assembly w/ 4th stalk is $40 more, but you do need to spend about $10 more to buy the necessary molex connectors and wiring to make up the harness, also, you need to have the OBC turned on (already to go if you currently can display outside temp). Some dealers will do it for free while others charge to do it.

Not to worry about the gauge or cluster, it's a simple hack.

Not understanding what you mean by the ground on the clockspring, but if you mean the 2 plastic posts I would replace it. It is part of the airbag system - the contact spring to be precise.

:cheers:

yimmy149 07-04-2009 09:46 AM

Just a little update - I received the new contact spring and control stalk assemblies yesterday. The broken pieces I posted - they are part of the contact spring. I'm guessing the turn signal would continue functioning if I reused it - I think the parts were interfering with it's operation.

-james

fatmike 07-05-2009 09:02 AM

I read this post the other day.

And, now my turn signals lost their "cancel". Thank you very much...its all your fault yimmy!

Boxtaboy 07-05-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmike
I read this post the other day.

And, now my turn signals lost their "cancel". Thank you very much...its all your fault yimmy!

Mine too! Darn you! :D

yimmy149 07-06-2009 09:19 AM

I'd be interested to hear what you guys find when you open things up.

If you haven't taken off your steering wheels before, I had a hard time with a normal Torx screwdriver - ended up buying this: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00946004000P?keyword=torx

-james

Boxtaboy 07-06-2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yimmy149
I'd be interested to hear what you guys find when you open things up.

If you haven't taken off your steering wheels before, I had a hard time with a normal Torx screwdriver - ended up buying this: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00946004000P?keyword=torx

-james

I haven't tackled the job yet, but let me ask- why did you need to buy the tamper resistant torx set? Are the torx screws holding the airbag cover on the wheel tamper resistant?

Oaktown 986 07-06-2009 10:22 AM

Same Problem

If you do a step by step guide, I'll buy you a beer next time you're in San Francisco. What a pain. I also have a strange clicking noise (probably parts rattling around) while making right turns coming from the steering column.

Boxtaboy 07-06-2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oaktown 986
If you do a step by step guide, I'll buy you a beer next time you're in San Francisco. What a pain. I also have a strange clicking noise (probably parts rattling around) while making right turns coming from the steering column.

Here's the DIY how to. I'll take that beer. ;)

http://www.whiteson.org/boxster/mods/obc/obc.stalk.pdf

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=2&t=13025

yimmy149 07-06-2009 01:01 PM

No, you don't need security bits. Maybe you'll do fine with a torx driver, I just couldn't get mine to budge, and was worried about damaging the screw since I was working at a slight angle due to the length of the driver.

The holes in the back of the steering wheel are narrow and almost 2" deep. The torx socket sets I looked at seemed too wide to fit in the hole.

I followed the procedures in the Bentley manual. I'm still waiting on a couple VW wires to do the OBC hack, so I haven't re-assembled yet, but so far so good. The main things that might not be completely obvious: Disconnect the battery a wait a few minutes so you don't trip any airbag wiring faults. Store the airbag padded side up. Center the wheels and mark the steering wheel & column with white out or a center punch so you put it on straight.

-james

Boxtaboy 07-06-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yimmy149
No, you don't need security bits. Maybe you'll do fine with a torx driver, I just couldn't get mine to budge, and was worried about damaging the screw since I was working at a slight angle due to the length of the driver.

The holes in the back of the steering wheel are narrow and almost 2" deep. The torx socket sets I looked at seemed too wide to fit in the hole.

I followed the procedures in the Bentley manual. I'm still waiting on a couple VW wires to do the OBC hack, so I haven't re-assembled yet, but so far so good. The main things that might not be completely obvious: Disconnect the battery a wait a few minutes so you don't trip any airbag wiring faults. Store the airbag padded side up. Center the wheels and mark the steering wheel & column with white out or a center punch so you put it on straight.

-james

Good tips. Thx.

yimmy149 07-09-2009 08:36 AM

I was staring at the parts while eating my cheerios this morning and realized I didn't fully understand what Lil Bastard was saying. The larger tab that broke off my contact spring is what cancels the turn signals - I didn't grasp that as somewhere else I had read there was an eccentric on the steering column that did it.

I've verified that my old stalks cancel just fine, and even the little nub is in good condition. I guess I can sell those used.

Still waiting on the VW dealer for the OBC hack wiring. :(

-james

yimmy149 07-13-2009 12:37 PM

Finally got the VW wires and built the OBC harness - only to find out it doesn't fit. Turns out I built the pre-2001 harness, the molex pins are different for the 2001-up gauge cluster. Unfortunately the guide I was using didn't mention that.

I went ahead and put the car back together. I'm pretty sure the reason my cancel broke was due to the depth of the control stalks being set incorrectly. I measured before removal and it was a bit over 60mm, which would have forced the tab on the contact spring up against the stationary part of the column. The most difficult part of reassembly was properly routing all the cables back into the clip/organizer. I'd recommend snapping a digital photo before removing the wires, would have made life easier.

If anyone is interested in my pre-2001 OBC harness, let me know. I'd be happy to sell it for the cost wires & plug. I don't like butt connectors, so I used solder and self sealing heat-shrink tubing instead. I used a label maker to number the wires, and a few zip ties to hold it together. I can post a picture if you'd like.

-james