986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Car Cover Recommendations (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2115)

Hlee8 02-20-2005 07:19 PM

Car Cover Recommendations

Newbie here. Need some help here.

1) Been planning on getting a car cover for my boxster but there are so many on ebay do not know which to even get. Anyone can recommend?

2) there are 2 schools of thought one says to cover and the other says better to keep it uncovered as the cover whilst on scratches the car. What gives? Anybody can help?

I dont know if Im stingy or what but the local porsche dealer here (not the US) sells a 'original' cover for the boxster but it set me back US$400 and the darn thing isnt even water proof. just wanted to share.

donv 02-20-2005 07:55 PM

If you're planning for storing the car in a garage, a soft cotton flannel cover (essentially just dust/scratch protection) is a safe bet and one of your least expensive options. For rain exposure, etc. there are other options including the "Noah" fabric, etc. I have a Noah cover which I use very frequently and have noticed no scratching. For the most part, it would be more the dirt you may get trapped under the cover rather than the fabric it is made of that would contribute to scratching. To that end, a cover that is machine washable (like the cotton flannel) would be the most convenient.

Brucelee 02-21-2005 05:51 AM

Inside use or out. Makes a big difference?

Porschekid 02-21-2005 06:09 AM

Mine is gonna be outside in the Winter and I just ordered an OEM Porsche Silverguard cover with cable and lock from ebay for $140. Seems like the best one available. :confused:

Hlee8 02-21-2005 09:54 PM

Thanks guys for the replies. To make things clearer, the car is parked at the front of my porch where there is a semi roof structure overhead. It is not exactly a garage as it is not totally enclosed. The problem is that the front up to the lights is sticking out and the passenger side is exposed to the sunlight as there is no wall there. Therefore the front and that passenger side is exposed to the sun and rain. Next the car is not used as a daily commute and by the time I take it out on the weekends there is literally a carpet of dust covering the car. that can't be good for the car and neither is the sun and rain to the exposed areas. Out here in the tropics the sun is really scorching, i had the same problem 2 cars back and by the time I sold off that car after 7years, the rear portion paintwork of the car which was exposed to the elements had faded off totally. Therefore Im trying to prevent that occuring to my boxster as well as keep the dust off after I have washed the car clean. So what do u guys think?

brucelee - whaddya think after reading the above?

Donv - can I get the 'Noah' cover from ebay or do u know where I can specifically get this. I'll need to order online as Im not from the states.

Porschekid - has the OEM cover come yet? any good?

Brucelee 02-22-2005 05:42 AM

The Noah is a fine cover, I have had very good luck with it in an outside setting.

Also, put on Klasse All in One followed by Klasse Sealer. This will handle the fade.

Be very careful when putting the cover on and off. In general, try to put the cover on when the car has been washed and dryed. This will help you avoid swirl marks and other mars to the finish.

The more diligent you are with the Klasse, the less you have to worry but still, puttin the cover on and off needs to be done with care or you sort of cancel out the benefits of the cover.

Certainly, do NOT leave your Box outside uncovered.

Best of luck!

:)

ranbar2 02-22-2005 07:37 AM

>>Certainly, do NOT leave your Box outside uncovered.

While I understand that we all want our cars to look as best as possible, I just don't have the time to keep the car always covered. Now, mine is a daily driver and I drive it all over - work, groceries, mall, friends, road trips. I took it to Costco and watched the amazed looks on peoples' faces as I fit two baskets full of stuff into the trunks. I put the top down and drove away under sunny skies with a big grin on my face.

The point is that it is a CAR and has a finish that will not melt away with a cross look. I live in Tampa where the sun is either beating down or it is raining cats and dogs, sometimes within minutes of each other. Well, I wash it once a week, keep the bird ******************** off and the car looks great even though I park it outside the majority of the time.

It is a beautiful car, yes. It is a special car, yes. But it is also meant to be driven and drive it I do. But most of the time when I get to whereever I am going, I usually cannot find covered parking or take the time to throw the car cover on. And when I get home after a hard day at work, or when I know I am going out again later in the day, more times than not I just park it on my old ribbon driveway (since I have a very old, very cramped and not easily accessible detached garage). Am I in the minority here?

Brucelee 02-22-2005 07:49 AM

"Am I in the minority here?"

Possibly! :)

RandallNeighbour 02-22-2005 11:17 AM

I build a 2 car garage, cement driveway, remote gate and 600 feet of paved asphault alley way for my Boxster... she's never slept outside one single night while I've owned her.

It's just a car, but it's also a <i>dream car</i> for me, not the "next thing" I decided to buy and drive until I became bored with it. I do everything I can to keep that dream alive and shiny :cheers:

ranbar2 02-22-2005 11:31 AM

Well, since I live in a historic district, I am somewhat limited in the amount of construction I can do to accomodate the car. I will say that if I had the same setup you do it would never sleep at night outdoors. But I don't.

Please don't get me wrong - I LOVE my car. It is the most fun I have ever had with an automobile, including the 68 Firebird that was my first. However, it is because I love to drive it so much that it tends to be outdoors alot. And, as much as I love the car, I refuse to be a slave to it. The more you drive it the more likely you are to get scratches, chips, road rash and bird droppings (birds seem to love my car as much as I do). I fix what I can, wash and clean it weekly, and don't obsess about the rest. My car is a partner that lives with me, not a pretty bauble that I put on a shelf to look at.

As for getting bored with it, I don't think that will ever happen. This is my first p-car. But it will definately not be my last! I am spoiled for life.

Perfectlap 02-22-2005 01:20 PM

Car covers are a pain.

If sun protection is what you want get a Sunbrella top cover, it covers only the softop, straps around your mirrors and door handles. Keeps my neighbohrhood felines from clawing up my top.

Aside from that I just make sure I have at least 15 layers of of Klasse SG during winter. A handfull will do but I'm crazy.

I had a Noah cover on my old Black daily driver and it was no picnic. First of all its very hard to keep the cover clean. Basically the car has to be wiped down before the car cover goes on. If the cover is put on when there is any debris on the paint surface it will get on the inside of the top and well you know what happens there, scratching and marring.
Unless you clean your car every time you drive it I don't recommend any outdoor car covers.

donv 02-22-2005 02:24 PM

The cover has saved me from repairing several "guaranteed" scratches (like that time the rake fell off the garage wall and slid all the way along the car :eek: ). If the cover wasn't on, all the wax/glaze/polish I could layer on wouldn't have made a difference...

You do need to "clean" the car every time before you put on the cover, but this doesn't necessarily mean "wash". I do the once over with the California Duster and if I'm really fanatic use the lint roller on the top and then put on the cover. If I let it go too far then I'm stuck washing again before I use the cover and the car stays uncovered until then.

There is no "requirement" for a cover, if it suits your temperament and situation then it is useful. If not, that's fine too. Same thing for garage vs. outdoors. If mine was a daily driver I doubt I'd be using the cover myself.

Hlee8, I got my Noah cover from "Tweeks" (now Mid America Motorworks) - www.mamotorworks.com . They carry several types of covers from US $50 to $200 for the Boxster. The Noah is their top rated cover, but there's plenty of other good ones; the Porsche cover has a much nicer logo on it than mine :D .

Brucelee 02-22-2005 03:03 PM

The California Duster IS a great product.

Perfectlap 02-22-2005 03:15 PM

try and use a duster with a rubber grip, it well protect against accidental drops and the ensuing dents/dimples. http://www.autopia-carcare.com/oxo-1050580.html
The Das Schield? trunk and hood interior shields are expensive, but well worth it. One tiny dimple can ruin the entire look.

and aside, use Lexol (brown bottle) on the leather seats, warm up the car first. Its important to keep the leather moisturized during winter. If the leather dries, the tell tale cracks of dry leather will visit your Boxster. The Lexol is also good for the steering wheel. Driving gloves also help.