Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #1

Clutch Corner

A few questions regarding clutches, mine has thirty thousand on it, fourteen of which I did not get to supervise. For a while I have suspected one of the motor mounts to be bad, does anyone think that a mount can effect clutch engagement? My shifts are smooth and there is only a very sporadic chatter leaving stop.

If the condition ever becomes even slightly more chronic, has anyone done a clutch in their own garage?

How much do you think a good quality independent is getting for a clutch job?

Has anyone used performance clutches? Is there any kind of factory upgrade for the dual mass flywheel? (not interested in lightened units, thanks)

What if any specialty tools do you have to acquire? (note already have power bleeder)

thanks..

eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:03 PM   #2

i get clutch chatter often from certain slow take offs... is this related possibly to an engine mount? i just figured my clutch was gettin old.. it has 75k on it.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
A few questions regarding clutches, mine has thirty thousand on it, fourteen of which I did not get to supervise. For a while I have suspected one of the motor mounts to be bad, does anyone think that a mount can effect clutch engagement? My shifts are smooth and there is only a very sporadic chatter leaving stop.

If the condition ever becomes even slightly more chronic, has anyone done a clutch in their own garage?

How much do you think a good quality independent is getting for a clutch job?

Has anyone used performance clutches? Is there any kind of factory upgrade for the dual mass flywheel? (not interested in lightened units, thanks)

What if any specialty tools do you have to acquire? (note already have power bleeder)

thanks..

Lots of questions....I'll answer what I can....

Just changed out the front motor mount. From my experience and countless others....it made a big difference in clutch take-up and engagement, very easy DIY.

About to pull out the tranny and clutch myself, from what I have read (Bentley Manual) and conversations from other members not that big of a deal dependant on your mechanical aptitude.

Clutch Job $500 to $1k labor plus parts from Indy, once again from what I have read.

As far as the flywheel goes, Buy one from SunCoast, abrade yours yourself with an abrasive pad and drill or D/A, or get the LW unit which many contend shortens your motor life.

Tools....tranny removal jack (Harbor Freight) or homemade equivalent, clutch centering tool, triple square bit for tranny removal, etc. (run a search for tranny removal).

IM me if you have further questions, I have plenty of links since I've been researching the same subject......Mark.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:20 AM   #4

Just ordered the new mount from suncoast, I also ordered the tabs, my theory being they would be distorted from vibration. Total was $212, after doing some searches I'm convinced the mount is bad, apparently it's a very common failure.

Anyone who has installed one please weigh in, I figure you support the engine and plug and play but again ant tips would be sweet..
Old 06-24-2009, 07:31 AM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
Just ordered the new mount from suncoast, I also ordered the tabs, my theory being they would be distorted from vibration. Total was $212, after doing some searches I'm convinced the mount is bad, apparently it's a very common failure.

Anyone who has installed one please weigh in, I figure you support the engine and plug and play but again ant tips would be sweet..
I had my motor mount replaced on my 2001 at 58k miles, and it did help smooth out an annoying 3k rpms vibration I used to have when decelerating, but I never had any chattering in my clutch. The new motor mount had absolutely no effect on my clutch action, and it still feels exactly the same as it did before. I can see how a new mount would improve shift action, but not sure how it would affect your clutch takeup.

I also had a really annoying grinding noise when making turns under power, and the new motor mount fixed that. Apparently, the old mount was so worn that it upset the drivetrain geometry.

Here's a how to on changing the motor mount:
http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site%203/Install%20Front%20Engine%20Mount.html

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 06-24-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
I had my motor mount replaced on my 2001 at 58k miles, and it did help smooth out an annoying 3k rpms vibration I used to have when decelerating, but I never had any chattering in my clutch. The new motor mount had absolutely no effect on my clutch action, and it still feels exactly the same as it did before. I can see how a new mount would improve shift action, but not sure how it would affect your clutch takeup.

I also had a really annoying grinding noise when making turns under power, and the new motor mount fixed that. Apparently, the old mount was so worn that it upset the drivetrain geometry.

Here's a how to on changing the motor mount:
http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site%203/Install%20Front%20Engine%20Mount.html

Thank you very much, I truly appreciate it. I don't know how to describe it but it's as if you can feel the engine buck, the mount needs replacement, if the clutch does too than so be it, I own my 1998, I need to keep it as nice as I can.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:35 AM   #7

Update, 30K miles, 1998 both rubber attachments inside the front mount are torn. FYI, the bolts are so long they don't come out till you lower and unyoke the top bolt. Updated to cayman S mount, ordered new side tabs, mine were decent though. $211 delivered.