Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #1

Coolant Reservoir Leak

I am trying to remove my coolant reservoir because I can see there is some coolant coming from the bottom. I have the three hoses unattached but the oil fill tube is still there. I can't get it off. How am I supposed to remove this? Thanks in advance.

-Ryan

Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #2

I was able to fix the leak on the tank without even having to remove it. I could feel on the bottom where the leak was and I used some JD waterweld. It seems to work very well and is designed for water leaks (hence the name). After fixing that leak I noticed that my car was still leaking from under the car but I knew that the one leak had been fixed. The leaks under the car that I'm referring to was what I knew about before I engaged in this project. It wasn't until I was trying to check the reservoir for leaks that I discovered it did in fact have a leak.

So under my car there is some fluid coming out. I removed all 3 panes since I was trying to narrow the problem down. I was beginning to think it was a radiator leak as I starting to remove the last panel until I saw where the leak was. It's coming from this black rubber piece attached to the vehicle. I have no idea what this is, but it looks like it is designed to release fluid since there is a hole on the neck of it. It is located on the left side of the vehicle (it's backwards in the pic). What is this black piece for and can a leak from that point be easily explained?

Thanks.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #3

Upon further inspection and testing, it has something to do with the A/C unit. When I put the a/c on, it pours like rain. When I turn it off, it's fine. It is just a clear liquid that is coming out (water or refrigerant?). I know it's normal for water to leak when the a/c is on but why is it leaking so fast?

Last edited by Viper5; 06-21-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #4

Is it really humid there? You could also have a partially clogged drain hole or something.

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote