986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Car wont start... i know its the ignition (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21060)

PlayersExpress 06-19-2009 03:09 PM

Car wont start... i know its the ignition

This is my DAILY DRIVER and I have no other car

Hey guys, the box is also now immobilized due to the ignition. Starter is fine.. im just trying to figure out which part i need to buy to replace in the ignition.

I called Porsche of Westmont and the guy said $160 for the part and refused to give the part number.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the part/number?

Is this the part im looking for??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350171816149&viewitem= &_trkparms=tab%3DWatching#ht_869wt_1191

Thanks a million,

Adam

Moostang 06-19-2009 03:45 PM

This looks exactly like the part. When mine went out .. i swapped it with the same part but found it using the VW / Audi part number ( same part ) and became a contortionist to install.

good luck

:cheers:

shaman1204 06-19-2009 04:03 PM

I ordered mine from suncoast or sunset, don't remember, it was about the same cost as the one you linked. Not a difficult install, but, as Moostang said, you have to lie on your back and look up under the dash to do the swap. Search on here or renntech for the install directions, it's pretty easy. Man :mad: I hate stealerships......

timothy 06-19-2009 04:05 PM

Here's a thread with instructions
http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3422

The Audi part is 4A0-905-849-B, available at any dealer.
(Edit: Any Audi dealer that is)

PlayersExpress 06-19-2009 05:51 PM

I just want to double check.. everything electrical is working, top, radio, windows, etc.. its all working fine, the key is turning.. but it will not start.. unless i turn it 50 or so times... lol..

timothy 06-19-2009 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlayersExpress
I just want to double check.. everything electrical is working, top, radio, windows, etc.. its all working fine, the key is turning.. but it will not start.. unless i turn it 50 or so times... lol..

When this part fails the usual symptoms are exactly the opposite of what you describe. The key won't turn, the key gets stuck, light switch does not work, etc.

PlayersExpress 06-19-2009 07:22 PM

Grr... well its something in the ignition because the starter is fine... and sometimes if i keep turning the key sooner or later it will trigger the starter.. something isnt making contact in the ignition...

Lil bastard 06-20-2009 03:23 PM

Quote:

Grr... well its something in the ignition because the starter is fine... and sometimes if i keep turning the key sooner or later it will trigger the starter.. something isnt making contact in the ignition...

Most likely the starter. The starter and solenoid are integral and the plunger on the solenoid gets all gunk'd up not allowing it to fully return home and close the contacts. Sometimes you can clean it up, but depending upon how many yrs./mi. are on the car, pulling it to clean it is the same work as just replacing it, so consider this because if you clean it and return it, it could fail sooner rather than later and you'll have to do the job again.

PlayersExpress 06-20-2009 04:30 PM

Thank you Lil B... Now that still leaves me in the next boat.

How do I get at it? lol... :rolleyes:

socratic 06-20-2009 11:04 PM

Quote:

"I just want to double check.. everything electrical is working, top, radio, windows, etc.. its all working fine, the key is turning.. but it will not start.. unless i turn it 50 or so times... lol.."

Quote:

Just a note that a co-worker with an older Golf GTI had exactly the same problem.

Not to disagree with a couple of the other posters, but it turned out to be the ignition switch.

Lil bastard 06-21-2009 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socratic
Quote:

"I just want to double check.. everything electrical is working, top, radio, windows, etc.. its all working fine, the key is turning.. but it will not start.. unless i turn it 50 or so times... lol.."

Just a note that a co-worker with an older Golf GTI had exactly the same problem.

Not to disagree with a couple of the other posters, but it turned out to be the ignition switch.

No disagreement at all.

We're all just speculating as to what the issue may be since none of can actually see the car in person.

The reason I rule out the ign. switch is that the lister says that he does get the starter to engage after several tries, so I'm thinking sticky solenoid plunger.

'Course, there's no guarantee that I'm correct.

PlayersExpress 06-22-2009 10:49 AM

I think you might be right Lil B. Example, yesterday the car started up just like normal on the first try every time (started the car 10 times yesterday) This morning I was off of work and I was going out to eat breakfast with my grandfather for father's day... hopped in the car 2 hours a go and bamm.. nothing. Car wouldnt start. No starter noise or anything just all the power options working like normal.

Ohh and the key turns normally and doesnt get stuck.