Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 07:28 AM   #1

Dead Battery -Can't Open Hood!

Key got left in the ignition of my '01 Boxster for a couple days and now have a dead battery. Have tried to open the hood using the emergency open procedure in the owner's manual but can't get it to work. If anyone has any tips or ideas on what to try next I'd really like to hear 'em. Thanks!!

sluggo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:38 AM   #2

Open Sesamee

Are you close enough to an outlet to use a cigarette lighter maintainer? Plug it in and soon you'll be back in the frunk.
Or, see directions on this forum for plugging jumper cables to your fuse block.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:43 AM   #3

Cigarette Lighter Maintainer?

Hey schnellman! -Thanks for the tips. Would you mind telling me what a cigarette lighter maintainer is? (just stupid I guess but I've never heard of one!)
Old 06-19-2009, 07:56 AM   #4

Trickle chargers normally comes with a Cigarette lighter adapter to trickle chsrge the battery. There's several brands to choose from.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=battery+maintainer&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3451332719&ref=pd_sl_2q1p7d6uom_e
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:01 AM   #5

A friend of mine with an '02 996 had the same problem recently, even with trying to apply power directly to the jumper deal in the fuse box he could not get the front trunk to pop. I went in through the passenger side fender well and had the front trunk open in 10 minutes by pulling the secret release cable over there. Before I bothered with that I called Loren who runs Renntech and asked him if the '02 996 had that cable (I know my '00 Boxster S does, as I've used it). He told me that ALL 986/996 have that release cable, so your car does too.

Do a search on here and you'll find instructions on where to find this cable. Then you'll have your front trunk open in just a few minutes. My quick description - it's basically a small wire cable with a loop at the end to help pull it and it's approximately under the passenger side headlight. Pull 3 to 4 plastic tabs that hold the plastic wheel well liner in place and snake your arm up in there and pull the cable - voila!!! the trunk will just pop open.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:56 AM   #6

It's Fixed!

I ended up getting a portable jump starter with a cigarette lighter adapter. As soon as I hooked it up the dash lit up, and the hood popped right open when I hit the switch. Wasted alot of time in a 100+ degree garage messing with this, but at least it's fixed and didn't cost much $. Once again the old idiom "there's no substitute for experience" holds true! Thanks to everyone for your responses.