Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 05:31 AM   #1

Quick ideas on my box prob...

I have CEL on & about to check the codes soon.
However, on cold starts, it sputters for a couple minutes and then will drive after that. While driving, sometimes it will miss...just kind of cut out for a sec and then be ok. Also, the temp goes up a little past 180. I replaced the MAF probably 6 months ago, but it sounds to me like that's exactly what the problem is. Unless an O2 sensor or even throttle body. What are your guys thoughts? I'm sure i'll know more when I can pull the codes, but my curiosity is getting the better of me.

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:38 AM   #2

Cracked coil pack?

The codes will help a great deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompous
I have CEL on & about to check the codes soon.
However, on cold starts, it sputters for a couple minutes and then will drive after that. While driving, sometimes it will miss...just kind of cut out for a sec and then be ok. Also, the temp goes up a little past 180. I replaced the MAF probably 6 months ago, but it sounds to me like that's exactly what the problem is. Unless an O2 sensor or even throttle body. What are your guys thoughts? I'm sure i'll know more when I can pull the codes, but my curiosity is getting the better of me.
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:56 AM   #3

This is weird...I was able to get out to Advance to check the codes and the car drove just fine. Started fine (from cold), didn't miss and didn't stall at stop lights. Anyway, here are the codes and keep in mind I recently replaced the MAF.

0102-Mass Air Flow Sensor - Below Lower Limit
1123-Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 1 (Cylinders 1 - 3) - Lean Threshold
1125-Oxygen Sensing Adaptation Area 1 (Cylinders 4 - 6) - Lean Threshold

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:45 AM   #4
Rennzenn

Garage
To see if the MAF is causing the codes, unplug the electrical connection from the top of the MAF and start the car, then go for a drive. The car should not pop, miss, etc, as the MAF is now in a default mode. The CEL will probably come on.
Now here is the catch: what year is your car?
The MAF has been updated a couple of times. If you've got a newer MAF than you originally had, you may need to have your ECU updated as well. There is a Porsche Technical Service Bulletin for this.

j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote