986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Key fob didn't work and radio was out of wack??? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20984)

myfirstporsche 06-14-2009 05:41 AM

Key fob didn't work and radio was out of wack???

Upon our return from Cancun, I wanted to go for a drive in the Boxster. The key fob blinked red, but wouldn't unlock the doors. I just used the driverside key slot. When I started it, the radio was on an AM station. The car started right up without an issue.

I drove to a store to get a battery for the key fob. When I got there, I was able to arm the car like usual. Did letting the car sit for 14 days without starting cause this? The Interstate battery is 1 year old and was replaced at the dealer. If this is the case, winter storage will be interesting.

clickman 06-14-2009 08:13 AM

The fobs are apparently quite flaky. Do a search here or Renntech and you'll see all sorts of problems. I'm having myself where one of my fobs just won't communicate with the car at all, even with a new battery and the LED blinking.

Also, your manual will tell you that there is a power saving mode where if you don't use the remote for 5 days you have to manually unlock the door and then press button 1 to reset the remote.

Lil bastard 06-14-2009 01:46 PM

It's not the fob, it's the car.

The alarm consists of the remote (transmitter) and the alarm module under the driver's seat (receiver).

In order to reduce power consumption and save the car battery, the alarm module (receiver) stops listening for the remote after 120 Hrs. (5 days).

Once you unlock and start the car w/ the key, the whole system wakes up again and the remote will now be recognized by the alarm module.

:cheers:

myfirstporsche 06-14-2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil bastard
It's not the fob, it's the car.

The alarm consists of the remote (transmitter) and the alarm module under the driver's seat (receiver).

In order to reduce power consumption and save the car battery, the alarm module (receiver) stops listening for the remote after 120 Hrs. (5 days).

Once you unlock and start the car w/ the key, the whole system wakes up again and the remote will now be recognized by the alarm module.

If the car is going to sit for beyond 120 hours, is it better to just press the key fob once for "lock" or press twice for "arm?" It is in a secure garage, but I always press the lock option. If the choice is there, is it better to just leave unlocked and unarmed?

Lil bastard 06-15-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myfirstporsche
If the car is going to sit for beyond 120 hours, is it better to just press the key fob once for "lock" or press twice for "arm?" It is in a secure garage, but I always press the lock option. If the choice is there, is it better to just leave unlocked and unarmed?

It won't matter. It's not the fob at all but the alarm module. It will automatically go into sleep mode @120 Hrs. whether you press the fob or not after shutdown.

But, locking the car does shut off the lights/instruments and other appliances sooner which is better for the battery.