Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 06:49 PM   #1

MAF sensor, 2nd time in a week

Brought my 02 Boxster in to Vancouver West Motors after I noticed weird idling (randomly jumps to 2000 RPM every few minutes), white smoke on ignition and the Check Engine Light comes on.

$810 later, I was told that this was due to the MAF sensor, which was replaced. Less than 50km later, I've got the same problem. Called Vancouver West Motors again and was told that Boxsters (and boxer engines) air flow runs rich with oil, which is why they tend to burn a lot of it and that if cleaning the MAF sensor didn't work this time, I'd have to consider an engine replacement.

Any ideas? Am not really keen on replacing the engine, but am hoping there's a simpler explanation for this.

legume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #2

You are being taken for a ride...

Take it to a competent Porsche mechanic.
funkdefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by legume
Brought my 02 Boxster in to Vancouver West Motors after I noticed weird idling (randomly jumps to 2000 RPM every few minutes), white smoke on ignition and the Check Engine Light comes on.

Any ideas? Am not really keen on replacing the engine, but am hoping there's a simpler explanation for this.

Did you manage to inquire on what specific codes the CEL threw upon reading??
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #4

Angry

Interesting, I wonder if they have some bunk MAF sensors. Mine was replaced about a week ago, and I also have a CEL again that I am going in to have diagnosed tomorrow.

I have a 2000 Boxster - no idle problems either before the MAF repair, or now with the new CEL.
Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #5

Did you also go to Vancouver West? What codes are you getting? Looks like many of us in Vancouver are all having problems with CEL's.

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:03 AM   #6
Porscheectomy

Quote:

$810 later, I was told that this was due to the MAF sensor, which was replaced. Less than 50km later, I've got the same problem. Called Vancouver West Motors again and was told that Boxsters (and boxer engines) air flow runs rich with oil, which is why they tend to burn a lot of it and that if cleaning the MAF sensor didn't work this time, I'd have to consider an engine replacement.

These are symptoms of a bad AOS not MAF. I agree with the previous post. These guys are incompetent.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:31 AM   #7

Angman, yep. I didn't bother getting the codes. I'll give him the Spanish inquisition today and report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angman
Did you also go to Vancouver West? What codes are you getting? Looks like many of us in Vancouver are all having problems with CEL's.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:42 AM   #8

Also, make sure that AFTER you get the actual problem fixed, you cancel the charge to your credit card, and tell the Stealer that they did not fix the issue, so you are not paying for a repair that was pointless.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #9

I didn't manage to get the codes either, but will do so when I bring my car in tomorrow. Gent, am interested in comparing stories with you after your visit to Vancouver West.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #10

So, not a MAF problem in my case. I asked them to drop me an email with the details, since we were all in a rush when I picked up the car. Obviously, I didn't do the Inquisition thing either, lol.

Forgive any paraphrasing I do here. The code behind my CEL had to do with a perceived low airflow that apparently barely registered, but tripped the CEL and would likely have cleared itself shortly anyway.

They went through the car top to bottom, including running a test with a couple of psi in Nitrogen designed to help them find any leaks in the system (which the car passed).

Once they were satisfied, they reset it for me, gave me a call and I picked it up. No charge.

I'm not an automotive neophyte, and I still say this is a good shop with knowledgeable staff and ethical management.

I'll get the details (probably tomorrow), and post them.

Legume, maybe you can get Alfred to lay out (in an email) what they checked and the options for you? I know he throws out a lot of info very quickly. I highly doubt that the work was poor or that you are being taken for a ride.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:53 AM   #11

Info:

"The fault code recorded on your boxster was mass airflow circuit low input.We checked data blocks using a canbus enabled test tool and found mass airflow meter readings fluctuating at 2.85-3.2 grams per second of air flow recorded.This reading is correct for your meter type (986).Maybe pinning the rev limiter and cutting fuel flow (full throttle and rpm drop simultaniously?)caused low mass air reading .All other vacuum sources tight and sealed so we monitor further."
Old 04-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #12

The car is still with Vancouver West, they're going to keep it overnight but they think they've found the problem. Was told that the PCV breather filter assembly is cracked and that's where the oil is coming from.

BTW, I checked my invoice from last week and it turns out that Alfred did list the error codes: DTC 1128 and DTC 1130.

Will keep you posted.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:02 PM   #13

Better than a new engine!!!
Old 04-16-2009, 06:33 AM   #14
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
The car is still with Vancouver West, they're going to keep it overnight but they think they've found the problem. Was told that the PCV breather filter assembly is cracked and that's where the oil is coming from.

BTW, I checked my invoice from last week and it turns out that Alfred did list the error codes: DTC 1128 and DTC 1130.

Will keep you posted.
Looks like a failed AOS causing your car to run lean. Have them replace the AOS if it is visually cracked or leaking. The MAF and O2 sensors were probably fine all along and they just missed the AOS problem. $810 oops.

Last edited by Topless; 04-16-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:10 PM   #15

Legume, I'd print this out and bring it in to them so that they can address your concerns. I look forward to reading the answer.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #16

So, I was told that the PCV breather filter was the problem. They took the whole think apart, replaced the unit, cleaned out all of the oil (about a half litre) they found in the intake manifold and the MAF sensor. They said that they got most of the oil in the manifold, but I'd have to drive it around for a while to burn off the rest. Cost for this repair was just over $400. Alfred said to drive it around for a few more days, if the problem recurs, then it's an engine issue and it'll require more investigation.

I'm hoping that this will be the last I'll hear of it. I do think that he was being honest with me on this matter, so I'm happy to not pursue this any further if my car is fine after this most recent repair.

Thanks,

Legume
Old 04-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #17

I hope that is the end of it. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:13 AM   #18

I am wondering if I am having the same problem, an AOS problem causing P11128 and P1130 codes,

What was the final cost to have your vehicles repaired?

"Its Craptacular" - Bart Simpson 1997
joshua6060 is offline   Reply With Quote