Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2007, 07:04 PM   #1

Melted headlight lens

Wondering if anyone has had this problem...the inner lens of the headlight began to melt. I'm guessing that the headlamp is to hot (bought the box as is). I will be replacing the lamps with stock ones to avoid this reoccuring but I was wondering if anyone has any repair ideas or if they know where I can get some replacement parts.

So far, I've found a process to remove the existing lens by heating up the headlight in an oven to soften the adhesive. Then to heat up after reassembly to remove any moisture from inside the lens before rebonding. To do this I have to get my hands on some nice lenses. Does anyone have any cracked headlights they want to get rid of?

Having said all of this, can xenon lamps cause this problem?

Nolongerlookingforboxster ;o)

boxstershorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:54 PM   #2

Hi,

Common problem when swapping out the OEM bulbs. BTW, there is a tube which extracts any built-up moisture in the lens. It stocks below the car and draws off the moisture by bernoulli effect. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:56 PM   #3

Hey thanks for the extra tidbit of info. Funny noone else in the various sites I've read mentionned this. Everyone is trying to seal in dry air but there is a vent to the outside of the headlight which defeats the purpose. Interesting. As is Bernouilli

JP
boxstershorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #4

I have same problem. Any solution?

2001 blk/tan Boxster 18" turbo twist wheels

2003 gray/tan Navigator
rgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:51 AM   #5

My headlamps lenses also suffer from this. I think the only permanent solution is to upgrade to the litronics.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote