Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2005, 11:00 PM   #21

S100 vs P21S

I am choosing wax for my artic silver Boxster. What is the difference between S100 vs P21S? Any other wax works good on silver besides them? Thanks.

97Boxsterian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:46 AM   #22
bmussatti

97boxsterian, there is great car car info at autopia.org. A lot of people recommend the Klasse products.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:47 PM   #23

I just picked up some Z5 from Zaino. It is suppossed to work well for slight swirling and it is nonabrasive so there is little risk of screwing up the paint. I will use soon and report back on the results.
Here is te link. http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Zaino
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:57 AM   #24
olly986

i am suprise none of you speak about zymol? i have been using the stuff on my two black boxsters with very good results, fairly easy to apply and buff(wear gloves otherwise you'll have blue hands for a while)spray a little mist of fresh water and eh! presto you have a shiny car, easy to wash next time around and looking good. I have never hear of Klasse in Europe but will check it out
Old 11-02-2005, 03:26 AM   #25
tmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I just picked up some Z5 from Zaino. It is suppossed to work well for slight swirling and it is nonabrasive so there is little risk of screwing up the paint. I will use soon and report back on the results.
I use Z-5. It's the stuff. Also use Z-6 gloss enhancer spray. Amazing results. Lasts for a looong time (months).
tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 03:45 AM   #26
bmussatti

The Mequiars NXT product is very good and easy to use. Especially on white or silver. Excellent results.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:04 PM   #27

we recently purchased an '02 S in guards red. Like black it is prone to swirls. I dont' think the previous owner had EVER detailed the car, and it looked as though they had put it through automated car washes a LOT-the leading cause of swirls in my opinion.

I now have the paint looking absolutely perfect(in my opinion)

For your black car, it is imperative that you get a random orbital-the Porter Cable 7424 is popular. Don't worry if you have never used one. I hadn't either when I first tried one a couple of years ago. Totally safe, even in the hands of a newby. The key though is to ensure it is a random orbital machine. Check out autopia.org. most of those folks are professional detailers and I learned a lot about making my finishes look great from them.

I used Pinnacle swirl remover first(after claying, of course, which is mandatory the first time you detail your car), using a Wolfgang light cutting orange pad. This product does NOT hide the swirls, it actually polishes them out. Very mild and completely clearcoat safe.

then I apply Wolfgang's pre-wax polish and then the deep gloss paint sealant-the "twins" as they are called in the detailing world, using a white polishing pad. After the paint sealant adheres to your paint(12 hours), I then finish off with a topper of Souveran carnuba, applied by hand.

Everyone swears the car is brand new. Even under the harsh, telling lights of a gas station(the absolute best light to check for swirls in your paint), it looks wet and deep, without a hint of swirls or scratches.

I locked onto this combination when I bought my truck and it's worked for me on all my cars, but especially good on black and red. Good luck!
2002 Toyota Tundra 4x4-daily driver

Last edited by S_PILOT; 11-03-2005 at 07:10 PM.
S_PILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:43 AM   #28
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Boxsterian
I am choosing wax for my artic silver Boxster. What is the difference between S100 vs P21S? Any other wax works good on silver besides them? Thanks.
Here is an article I found on the internet regarding you question:

First, a little background. P21s and S100 are products made the same German manufacturer but produced for different market segments. P21s is an "automotive" product, and S100 is a "motorcycle" product. Obviously, either brand can be used on either vehicle, but the distribution channels etc are quite different.

In any event, the debate rages whether S100 carnauba wax and P21s are, indeed, the same wax but priced differently. I've been to the importer and spoken with the manager there (since I'm a retailer, they'll talk to me a little bit) and the party line is that the formulas are a trade secret held closely by the manufacturers in Europe and that nobody in the US knows the true formula. That part is probably true.

Before I continue, a little bit of carnauba wax information is required. Carnauba tree leaves produce a wax coating that is dried and removed from the leaves after a harvesting. The younger leaves produce a lighter, whiter wax whereas the older leaves produce a heaver yellow wax. Both waxes are used in paint care, but have different properties and characteristics.

For those carnauba waxes that want maximum durability, a higher percentage of the carnauba content will be yellow wax. It has higher durability characteristics, but it is not as optically pure as the white carnauba (duh, it's yellow!)

For those that still want a durable finish but prefer a more optically-pure wax, they would opt for a wax with a higher percentage of white carnauba.

Now, let's look at the differences in what a painted surface on a motorcyle would undergo versus a painted automotive surface. The paint on a motorcycle is in much closer proximity to the heat and gunk produced by the engine, whereas the engine in a car is normally hidden in a cavity and "sealed" from the outside. Some heat certainly dissipates to the hood, but most of the painted surfaces are not affected by the heat of the engine.

Ok, with that out of the way, let's open the lid and look at the wax itself. Hopefully I can get an accurately-colored photo posted soon, but for now, let me assure you that the P21s is markedly whiter than the S100. By corrolary, the S100 is much yellower than the P21s.

Based on the above facts, MY OPINION that the S100 has a higher content of yellow-carnauba wax, whereas the P21s has more white carnauba. This is evidenced by both the cost and the color. White carnauba is more optically-clear, more expensive, and less durable than the yellow carnauba. Therefore the yellow wax and its greater hardness would be most appropriate in a motorcycle application. On a car application, the paint is much more of an appearance item and tend to be lighter in color (whites, slivers) than would a motorcycle paint job and the white carnauba would still provide adequate protection but have a better optical clarity than the white.

In conclusion: are the S100 and P21s the same, but just tinted differently? Maybe. Only the German manufacturers know. But until I can find someone who can do some real scientific testing, I can't prove anything. But my educated guess is that there IS a difference.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:07 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Here is an article I found on the internet regarding you question:

......In conclusion: are the S100 and P21s the same, but just tinted differently? Maybe. Only the German manufacturers know. But until I can find someone who can do some real scientific testing, I can't prove anything. But my educated guess is that there IS a difference.
Thank you bmussatti! I guess I will try S100 first, coz better value and more durable.

97Boxsterian is offline   Reply With Quote