986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Spark Plug coils (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20656)

eomak 05-15-2009 04:48 AM

Spark Plug coils

How do u check or make sure all spark plug coils are running normal?thanks

Lil bastard 05-15-2009 05:04 AM

If it's bad, you'll get a code and CEL.

You do NOT want to pull the coilpak and try to make it spark between the lead and the block as was typically a test method years ago. You will fry some engine electronics if you do that.

:cheers:

eomak 05-15-2009 06:59 AM

Thanks.I'am in the process of trying to find out about my rough cold start problem that started acting up the pass few weeks, and maybe fix it myself.2003 2.7 been running great for pas 1 1/2 years with no problems 67,000km's.Going to check the sparkplugs that i put in 8K km'S ago. Maybe gap widened?I put a fresh new tank of gas in hopefuly its just bad gas i had in there.I also think i have a bad secdary cat. that raddles on accelation sometimes like what other peeps have on this form printed, but never really dought with it cause putting fabspeeds byepass in there soon.Could a bad cat. start to give a rough cold morning start?I changed the air filter and notice a lightly oiled covering over some of the throddle body parts caked with sand and dirt with quik swipe with rag cleaned it off.This normal as it should be dry up there for medium milage car?No warning lights and no signs of performace lost and runs normal threw out the day.Its just if the cars been sitting more 12hours+ i get a rough start.To me it sounds like all the fuilds are drianed out at cold start up and its trying to suck up everything oil/gas to get it running smoothly after the first 4-6 secs.Also i had a new clutch and flywheel put in 8,000km's.Could this have a effect on a rough cold start?As in the engine is having a hard time to turn over on cold start cause the clutch or flywheel is sort of sieged up until the fuild squirs in there?

Lil bastard 05-15-2009 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eomak
Thanks.I'am in the process of trying to find out about my rough cold start problem that started acting up the pass few weeks, and maybe fix it myself.2003 2.7 been running great for pas 1 1/2 years with no problems 67,000km's.Going to check the sparkplugs that i put in 8K km'S ago. Maybe gap widened?I put a fresh new tank of gas in hopefuly its just bad gas i had in there.I also think i have a bad secdary cat. that raddles on accelation sometimes like what other peeps have on this form printed, but never really dought with it cause putting fabspeeds byepass in there soon.Could a bad cat. start to give a rough cold morning start?I changed the air filter and notice a lightly oiled covering over some of the throddle body parts caked with sand and dirt with quik swipe with rag cleaned it off.This normal as it should be dry up there for medium milage car?No warning lights and no signs of performace lost and runs normal threw out the day.Its just if the cars been sitting more 12hours+ i get a rough start.To me it sounds like all the fuilds are drianed out at cold start up and its trying to suck up everything oil/gas to get it running smoothly after the first 4-6 secs.

Well it sounds as if you have several issues here. Some known and ignored and others you're addressing.

A rough cold idle could be any of the things you mention or a combination of several.

Since you know these are issues, I'd start correcting them one-by-one to see if they resolve the cold start issue before tossing a dart at the 'ol mechanic's dartboard to look for more.

I suspect the aos isn't up to snuff. A bad cat isn't likely to come into play with the car cold because the car is in closed loop and not using OČ sensor data. But. a leaky aos can lose vac pressure overnight and take some time to rebuild under cold restart (not much, but time nonetheless).

If one of the coilpaks were bad, you'd almost definitely get a code and a light. I'm not entirely ruling it out at this time, but with your other issues, it would be my ending point if all else fails, not my starting point.

:cheers:

eomak 05-15-2009 11:13 AM

Thanks for help and tips.I think it was the gas .Started normal this morning.Thing is i put 94 octane in there which is highest here at that gas station twice.Problem acured.Went to direffernt yesterday to filled up and problem gone.I was paying high $ for **************** gas at that gas station.