Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 04:59 PM   #1

Maintenance advice for recently hibernated '02

Need some maintenance advice on my ’02. I bought it last May and only put 2500 miles on it last summer. New summer’s resolution is to drive it more this year. I just pulled it out of hibernation here in Minnesota (took it for a hundred mile spin around the metro) and want to bring it in for whatever needs to be looked over at 30,000 miles. It has 28K on it now. I have no maintenance records. I only have an owner’s manual I had to buy myself, no maintenance book or anything. I have looked up on-line recommendations but thought I would ask what you guys think is “necessary” versus “nice to have”. On the plus side it is low mileage and I have had no real issues but an ’02 is not exactly new. At a minimum I am thinking:

• Oil change
• Spark plugs
• Air filter
• Change brake fluid?
• Check airbag system
• Visual inspection of engine mounts, hoses, etc.

I did have a couple of drops of oil after my first drive this spring. First spotting I have had from this since I bought it. I did have an independent inspection before I purchased and got a general thumbs up on the car. The guy inspecting was a Porsche trained/certified fellow who now runs his own import repair shop. I might go to him or take it to the dealership and see if their dealership friends in Texas would provide them maintenance records (not likely). I didn’t buy it from the Porsche dealer, bought but from an independent. I have been to the Porsche dealer for keys, window polish, battery minder etc. but haven’t done repairs there. Have had my Audi in their several times (same dealership) and they have always been fair to work with.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
ISUnorth

Last edited by ISUnorth; 04-20-2009 at 07:02 PM.
ISUnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:54 PM   #2

Looks like a good list. I would also add a polyrib belt since yours is now 7-8 yrs. old. If it were me, I think I'd also do a coolant flush/fill. That way, you establish a clean starting point on most of the maintenance items. BTW, all these are pretty easy DIYs.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:39 PM   #3

Coolant flush

LB - I couldn't find a DIY for the coolant flush - since Porsche calls it lifetime.
either it has not been done or (most) cases was done when something else failed.

"Lifetime" in German means until something else fails first
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_legend
LB - I couldn't find a DIY for the coolant flush - since Porsche calls it lifetime.
either it has not been done or (most) cases was done when something else failed.

"Lifetime" in German means until something else fails first

The very best coolant out there is 5yr/150k mi. whichever comes first. After this, corrosion protection and lubrication go away.

Porsche has a procedure for draining/filling/bleeding the system in the factory repair manual. Draining it involves opening the coolant cap, the drain plug and a vent line. Filling it requires opening the bleed valve and a procedure for running the engine to purge any air. Tiptronic cars have an additional procedure due to an electric valve for coolant to the tranny.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote