Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 06:24 PM   #1

Squish

We had two solid days of rain and when I looked in the car the area behind the drivers seat was wet. Is this a plugged drain? Also was some water under the fuse box in the left footwell.

Anybody have a good photo of the drains so I can go in a clean them.

urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:43 AM   #2

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/drainsdiagram

Step by Step instructions.... good luck.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:03 AM   #3

UL, Have a friend spray the car with a hose while you sit inside and look for any water leaks, if the integrity of the top is compromised no amount of proper drainage will solve the issue.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
UL, Have a friend spray the car with a hose while you sit inside and look for any water leaks, if the integrity of the top is compromised no amount of proper drainage will solve the issue.
Yikes , might I suggest UL starts w/ a smaller amount of water... like a half filled 20oz water bottle pouring strategically in various places. Water leaks are very tough to chase down (if the drains are clear). While spraying a hose everywhere, you might not be able to correctly identify the area (especially since OP has standing water both in front off and behind drivers seat.

First thing first... make sure the it's dry around the black box underneath the drivers seat. If it gets wet all sorts of other bad thing$ occur. You should also protect this while doing any water leak testing just in case...

Anyhow, while clearing the drains (both in front trunk by battery and the rear), check the integrity of the foam liner which feed the rear drains. If it's pierced it won't much matter if the drains are clear. If there are tears/holes, I've heard others have used black silicone to seal them back up.

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #5

Where I live, that is a practical test of the real world, of course one should use prudence with hose angles and velocities, I guess I wasn't specific enough. If you have an absorber in your hand inside the car you should be just fine.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #6

black box

Some H20 did get arounfd the black box - I will dry asap. nice link to mike focke site - very helpful thanks!

Last edited by urban_legend; 03-10-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #7

Good fortune!

Despite being soaked (2x) no problem.

Battery was also dead - maybe two wrongs made a right?