986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Here's a really stupid question... (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19953)

Lil bastard 03-18-2009 11:08 PM

Here's a really stupid question...

As much as I'd like to think I know about my Boxster, there's one question I've always neglected to ask...

When I picked up my Boxster new at the dealer (3 mi. on the ODO) 10 yrs. ago, it didn't have a passenger-side lock tumbler in the door - never drilled for one.

I've always assumed this was normal (i Know..assume and you make an a**...).

But through all the posts here, I've never seen this mentioned...even by a 'newbie', which I'm finally getting around to think is somewhat strange.

So, my ? is: "are all of your Boxsters the same way?" or do I have some unique 'Friday' one-off?

:cheers:

Sboxin 03-18-2009 11:34 PM

...hum mine has no passenger side key hole -- I think Tool Pants (Jeff) mentioned this a long time ago on another forum...

By the way -- where is Du Monde ??
...just curious...

Take care, :cheers:
Ed

and good night...my last post for today...

coreseller 03-19-2009 12:54 AM

Likely a costs savings and frankly a lack of necessity. Other cars also only have one lock cylinder on them, my newer GTO only has it in the driver's door.

vath2001 03-19-2009 02:08 AM

My Boxster only has one on the drivers side (LH). My Acura has both Driver and Passenger, but they make both a LH and RH version of the Acura.

Most of cars I rent only have the Drivers side door key... it is a cost saving, one less tumbler to install.

ekam 03-19-2009 03:33 AM

Weight saving.

rick3000 03-19-2009 04:35 AM

Mine's the same way, I don't think I've ever seen another Boxster with a passenger side lock. Most newer cars tend to be the same way. If you use the remote to lock/unlock like almost all new cars, you don't really need a key hole at all, it's just there in the event that the remote dies or something.

Frodo 03-19-2009 04:36 AM

None on mine ('01 S). (As many times as I have detailed that car, I still had to go out and look---I honestly couldn't have told you for sure one way or the other.)

salerno501 03-19-2009 04:53 AM

Ditto

only on the driver's side on mine

gregdacat 03-19-2009 05:31 AM

I guess I am the one with the "one-off" because mine has manual key locks on both the Driver's side and passenger side.

rick3000 03-19-2009 07:16 AM

^ Did your Boxster come with an alarm or remote entry?

gregdacat 03-19-2009 08:25 AM

Yes it did

Dragonwind 03-19-2009 01:21 PM

My 99 did not come with the Alarm or Remote and it has locks on both sides of the car. My 2008 Mazda3 only has the one.
Chris

Lil bastard 03-19-2009 07:54 PM

OK... so I'm not going crazy...good to know.

Then again, maybe I am and this just isn't a very good indicator! ;)

Thanks all for the replies...

greesedc 03-20-2009 01:02 PM

If you use your remote most often to lock/unlock your car, get a driver's door lock plug from Bumberplugs.com that matches your paint and you will be same-o looking on both doors.
I have had mine installed for over a year and I am the only on that has ever noticed it :confused: ... oh well, looks cool to me anyway.

Lil bastard 03-20-2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greesedc
If you use your remote most often to lock/unlock your car, get a driver's door lock plug from Bumberplugs.com that matches your paint and you will be same-o looking on both doors.
I have had mine installed for over a year and I am the only on that has ever noticed it :confused: ... oh well, looks cool to me anyway.

Not at all! I've had one (guards red) for more than 3 yrs.

The only time it's ever come out is in the spring when I've had to manually unlock the door in order to manually open the hood (it's a'99 and like the proverbial dog licking it's b*lls... because I can) and reinstall the battery for the season. I like the look alot, though I must admit, no one's ever noticed or called me on it either.