Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
jzw

buying a 2002 boxster

hi there,

i am in the process of buying a 2002 boxster base from an exec in our firm. it has 108000 miles on it. All scheduled maintained were performed. New clutch at 95000 miles. Car drives and idles very smoothly. Feels very tight. Looks almost new. It sees two garages, one at home, and one at work most of time (it's a commuting car). I really love it. Besides, the seller is a very nice guy. He had all the work done at the dealer within the warranty period. After that, it was serviced by a mechanic specialized in porsches.

Now there are a couple of things I am not sure about.
1. the clutch feels a bit worn even at 10k mile. Not sure how describe it. It needs to travel a bit more than I am used to before engaging. Not sure though if it is normal for porsches.
2. there is a noticeable cluncking/rattling noise coming from the left rear corner. It sounds like a suspension or bearing issue. But it could also be something in the rear trunk. We test drove it in Time Square today. The roads are bad after the brutal winter. It rattled only when went over rough surface, but didn't happen on all rough surface. Couldn't figure out the pattern. Owner said he didn't notice it. I trust him. But is there way I can tell for sure if it is a suspension or bearing issue? BTW, if it is an issue, how much does it cost to fix it?
3. two minor issues. The left head light bulb is burned out. How much does it cost to have it fixed? The front license bracket is gone, leaving two holes on the bumper. Is it easy to mount a new one on?

Any answers to my questions is highly appreciated. I have another test drive scheduled for tomorrow. Anything else I need to pay attention to? Thanks in advance.

jzw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:28 AM   #2

Hey there, congrats and hopefully the car works out for you.

To answer your questions,
1. The clutch feel is very subjective and can vary from person to person on how it feels for you, so I'll leave this one for someone else to attempt.

2. Rear rattling could be one of several things, but the most common so far for these 986 Boxsters has been the rear track arm (rear trailing arm). Not a hard fix at all...

3. Replacement of a burnt out headlight is a simple deal, and you can do it yourself for just the cost of the bulbs, which are pretty inexpensive. For the license plate bracket, again this should be simple, or you could even just plug the holes with a set of bumperplugs that can be painted to your body color and will blend in well.

Hope this helps and welcome aboard!

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
jzw

is there a sure way to tell if something is wrong with rear track arm?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:01 AM   #4

Now there are a couple of things I am not sure about.
1. the clutch feels a bit worn even at 10k mile. Not sure how describe it. It needs to travel a bit more than I am used to before engaging. Not sure though if it is normal for porsches.

R: Have someone else who owns a Boxster drive it.

2. there is a noticeable cluncking/rattling noise coming from the left rear corner. It sounds like a suspension or bearing issue. But it could also be something in the rear trunk. We test drove it in Time Square today. The roads are bad after the brutal winter. It rattled only when went over rough surface, but didn't happen on all rough surface. Couldn't figure out the pattern. Owner said he didn't notice it. I trust him. But is there way I can tell for sure if it is a suspension or bearing issue? BTW, if it is an issue, how much does it cost to fix it?

R: No telling, get a PPI from a Porsche mechanic prior to buying the car. Ask him about the front motor mount as that could affect both the clutch and a clunk

3. two minor issues. The left head light bulb is burned out. How much does it cost to have it fixed? The front license bracket is gone, leaving two holes on the bumper. Is it easy to mount a new one on?

R: Install a standard bulb yourself. Instructions in the owner's manual.
R: If your state requires a front license plate, you can buy the front license plate mounting hardware from any dealer (or a junk yard) and mount it yourself. Or have the bumper refinished and the holes filled in. But I wouldn't bother on 1 108K car.

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/buyingorsellinga1997-2004boxster
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #5

In today's Buyer's Market for Boxsters, I'd walk away from a car that has any issues and high mileage. There are simply too many 'creampuffs' out there for ridiculous prices to 'settle' for a lesser one.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
jzw

the offer is really good. $8100. same as trade in value on bluebook and $2000 less than trade in on edmunds. i used clean condition. the paint, and everything else is in super condition. Could be an excellent condition easily. I drove the car again today. The strange rattling noise didn't happen on highway when the car went over rough surface. It happened only at low speed when the rear of the car shaked going over a pothole or some kind depression on the road. Does it sound like an track arm issue? btw, is it easy for regular mechanic change the suspension or arm on a porsche? i have a neighbour who is a full time mechanic and has his own garage. but he works on nissan and other japanese cars.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #7

Cool 2002 Boxster

jz,
if you said you have a neighbour mechanic and don't feel like bringing the car in for a PPI as Mike F. suggested, why don't you make an appt. and have the mech. have a go through with the car. put it up on lift and have him visually check the suspension, alignment etc..
if you're buying this car for $8,100 just be sure to put aside at least $2-$3g's in maintenance, tires, repairs.. the plus+ for you, is you know and see the car daily in your work. the minus- are the higher mileage and what you claim to be some noise.. as long as you know what you're getting into you'll be fine , and i'm sure with continued maintenence you'll have lots of good driving left with the Box.
Good Luck!
t2-bxtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:51 PM   #8

Consider what that car cost just 2-3 years ago.

Cars like this can be bargains.

The reason you want the PPI is you want someone who knows what he is looking for to look at the car for an hour or so, put it up on the rack, take the test drives and tell you what you should expect to have to do. That guy isn't a mechanic who works on other makes but one who works every day on Porsches and has seen everything. He is more likely to spot something as abnormal because he understands the normal. If he says $6k of work needed, do you still want the car? So I strongly urge spending the $250 or so on the PPI as insurance. Have an independent Porsche mechanic in the area do the PPI.

Sounds like the car was well maintained (see if he will share his records with you..bet he has em).

BTW, you have already made a fatal mistake as a buyer, you have fallen in love with one car. Your best bargains are had when you are bargaining one seller against another.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:30 PM   #9

My only thought is; in this current economy and job market, do you really wanna mix business with your personal life?

Suppose, worst case, you buy the car and it implodes w/i 90 days. Are you going to be hampered in going after the seller because he's an 'executive' where you work?

If it were rare and exotic, maybe the risk is worth it. But, for something so common as a Boxster, I'd give that alot of thought were I you. It's not as if you're getting a great deal or anything... I as recall, you're going to be paying the published used price.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:49 AM   #10

I have been on the forum for over a year and I have to tell you that there are not alot of people driving Boxsters with 108,000 miles on them. I know they are out there, but why spend even $8000 on a car with so many miles. You will have to spend some serious money over time to maintain this car.

This is a great time to buy a car. There are alot of Boxsters out there with 40-50,000 miles on them in the $12,000-$14,000 range. Spend a little more and you can get an "S" model.

Best of luck in whatever you decide, but I would get a car with less miles and no known problems.

Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:37 AM   #11
jzw

thanks guys. really helpful. i am a terrible bargainer to begin with. secondly, i was planning to buy a $5000 used car for my father in law to pick up my kids from school. but after checking out the small, crappy japanese made cars, I threw it in the towel. not saying the cars are bad, but ppl who bought those cars, just don't maintain them at all and they ask for more than private party price from bluebook because they are supposed to reliable. After i posted an ad on our company's intranet, I got this offer. I work for a big company with 40000+ employees. Seller's on the business side and I am on the technology side. The trouble is we live 1.5 hours apart and the only place we can meet is our work place in middletown mahattan. Let me tell you, there're not many mechanics there So long story short, $8100 is over my budget already. I thought I would take this car and pass my bimmer to my wife and have my father in law drive the pilot. But you all make good points. I will think about them...