Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #1

Many fault codes

I have been posting a lot in this forum because I find it extremely helpful. I have been able to fix a coolant leak by replacing a water pump thanks to the people here. It seems, however, that everytime I fix something, theres something else that goes awry. I put my car down from jack stands and took it for a ride yesterday. It seemed to be ok but then it started to overheat. I realized I must not have replenished the same amount of coolant that was drained from working on the installation of the water pump.

Today I put more coolant in the reservoir and it seems to be at an appropriate level. The car will maintain a temp of around 200 farenheit and the light doesn't flash anymore.

The battery had also died since I had been working on it for a while without giving it power so last night I left it charged with an automatic charger which is supposed to stop charging when the battery is charged fully and then only provide incremental charges when it detects the battery starts to lose its charge again. It was hooked on for about 8 or 9 hours at 12V/2A.

I took it out for another drive and got the CEL. This is something I was expecting since the only problem that I had previously had prior to working on my car was the P0507 which was telling me I probably have an intake leak somewhere.

Well I hooked my computer up using durametric and it did in fact give me the P0507 error along with about 15 other faults that had not been there previously!!!

I'm really getting frustrated because I don't know why this crap is happening to me all at once.

The errors are as follow:

For engine,

P0115 - engine temperature
P1219 - accelerator pedal potentiometer
p1577 - accelerator pedal potentiometer
p1578 - accelerator pedal potentiometer
p1505 - dve control range
p1502 - dve fault during spring test
p0507 - idle air control system (this is the only one that existed prior to doing work on my car)

It looks like the p15xx are all similar and related which makes me think one thing went bad to cause all that. And hopefully something simple since it just all came at once like a loose connection or something.

For alarm, it gives me fault codes

11 - voltage failure during alarm
61 - central locking limit position
60 - central locking limit position
10 - voltage failure at terminal 30
42(this was not there previously) it says "wrong key or wrong transponder" and
could explain why my key remote isn't working
33 - interior sensor faulty
49 (this was not there previously) it says "K lead"
35 - interior sensor faulty
34 - interior sensor faulty

Despite the alarm codes, the alarm does appear to work.

For air conditioning,

24 - it says "power supply (terminal 15)"

Also, I test rode it twice today. First time was fine. The second time it's like the whole car just failed on me. Now even with flooring the pedal it will top out at about 2000 rpms. This is the current state.

I don't see how all this stuff would just fail immediately. I must have screwed something electrically up but I don't see how. Maybe I damaged some stuff by overcharging it, but the device is brand new and supposed to stop at fully charged status.

As noted above, the only stuff that was already there previously was the p0507 and all the alarm codes but the two specified.

What is the most likely scenario?

Last edited by Viper5; 03-08-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:35 PM   #2

Sounds to me like

You may not have burped the coolant system. You have air in the system and it is causing an overheating...hot spots can cause real damage.

The end of this page details the fill and burp process.

200 is way to hot, almost all I know of run spot in the middle of the 8 in the 180 mark.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #3

I can't even do that now. The pedal won't let me go above 2000 rpms. This happened about 20 minutes after my first test ride. I took it out again and it just stopped working.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #4

Don't run or drive the car!

Disconnect the battery completely overnight (maybe put it on the charger).

IMHO, it's never a good idea to charge a battery while it's hooked up to the car because if there's a fault in the charger, it can have nasty consequences. These things are becoming increasingly complex and you just can't take the chance.

Then replace the battery tomorrow and see if things have cleared up.

If not, take it to a dealer, the DME may be going faulty... hope not and maybe doing the battery trick will make everything better. Here's hoping anyway.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Don't run or drive the car!

Disconnect the battery completely overnight (maybe put it on the charger).

IMHO, it's never a good idea to charge a battery while it's hooked up to the car because if there's a fault in the charger, it can have nasty consequences. These things are becoming increasingly complex and you just can't take the chance.

Then replace the battery tomorrow and see if things have cleared up.

If not, take it to a dealer, the DME may be going faulty... hope not and maybe doing the battery trick will make everything better. Here's hoping anyway.

I just went out for a ride and came back and just now saw your post. I basically did exactly that. I disconnected the terminals and charged it for a bit. Then out of curiousity I hooked the terminals back up to see if resetting the computer had any impact. Well, I started up the car and it WORKED! It was actually letting me drive it. I still expect the P0507 idle air control to come up soon since it's still idling funny, but all the other crap is gone and hopefully it won't return.

The temp guage also stayed between 8 and 0 on the 180. More like on the left half of the 0. It seems to be good now. Not sure what I did but I will keep an eye on it in the future.
So assuming that it won't come back, I still need to figure out how the key remote error is affecting my key remote from working. And also what the K-lead error is.

Last edited by Viper5; 03-08-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #6

I went for a drive today and it was fine. On my way back home, the car wouldn't go over the 2000 rpms again. I shut down the car and restarted. It was fine. On my way home, CEL came on again. I checked the computer and it came back

P1502
P0507

These are the two I have now. I saw a post here that is similar to what I'm experiencing

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6197

This person solved his P1502 by replacing his throttle body. The P0507 is also related to this. I'm going to check for leaks today and also tap on the MAF to see if that does anything. If I can't find leaks or the rpms don't change, I think I will be ordering a throttle body and hopefully it will get rid of both codes.