Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #1

Oil filler cap White residue

Hi all, just bought my 1st Porsche, a 2000, 3.2 S - yesterday. Did a bit of research before purchase but today, on YouTube, I watched a clip about buying a used Boxster and to NOT buy one that has a 'mayonaise' type residue on the underside of the filler cap.
I then went straight out to check my car- which I purchased privately- opened the cap and saw a thin film of a white substance under the cap and on the filler tube neck. It was a very small amount.
Should I be very worried? Advice please!!!
Going to immediately phone main dealer tomorrow morning to book in for it's 60,000 service anyway but all replies appreciated.

Tommyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #2

The white residue is caused by moisture in your oil. How it got there is the question... you say it is just a little bit, which could just be an indicator that the car went on a lot of short trips and the oil didn't get fully warmed up (which would burn off any moisture in the system).

If there were a significant amount of mayonnaise on the cap, then I'd be more worried. Something like that would indicate more moisture (most likely coolant) getting into the oil, which typically points to a head gasket. Though on the Boxster it may be different... I'll let somebody with more Boxster cooling system experience chime in.

Good luck...
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #3

This is a sign that the car was driven only a short distance. Whenever you start your engine the engine sweats. If normal operating temp is not reached and driven for awhile this is how sludge develop. To prevent this you should never idle for long period or drive short distances. To get rid of this drive it for about 15-20 miles on the freeway. This will evaporate. If you want to see more of it let it idle for 10 minutes or continue to drive shrt distances specially during cold weather.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:53 AM   #4

+1 to the post above.
When I bought my 84 Carrera it had Mayo on the oil cap. Changed the oil and always made sure the car is driven enough to get up to proper operating temperature. No more Mayo after that. No engine problems.

1997 E36 M3/4/5
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...ygug/arial.jpg

Last edited by gerrygug; 03-04-2009 at 09:04 AM.
gerrygug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:36 AM   #5

Thanks all for your replies, much appreciated. Has put my mind at ease! Service booked for Monday too so will update this thread then to let you know.
Tommyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:17 PM   #6

Mayo... Excellent description. Completely describes it. I wouldn't have thought of it. But yes, Mayo is an emulsion much like hand lotion and is exactly what you get when you "whip" water and oil.
Tucson, AZ
Kurt W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #7

After all this discussion I had to go look. Especially since I do a lot of city and short trip driving. I am proud to announce I am Mayo free.

:dance: