Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2009, 07:52 AM   #1

987 sport vs power seats

Hello, I am looking at two 987s cars. One has sport seats and the other has power seats (non sport). I only have had the opportunity to sit in the sport model as that is all my local dealer has in stock, so I would like to ask your opinions of both.

My initial impression of the sport seats was that the seat base did not tilt up enough for me...meaning I wanted more bolster under my thighs. They also fit great around my waist, but felt too narrow through the shoulders, kind of like they were jabbing into my lats (not a bodybuider).
The salesman said I would get used to the shoulder narrowness. Maybe so...sometimes I don't totally trust the breed

I have a couple of questions for those of you with experience with the seats.
1. Does anyone feel like the seat base of the sport seats needs to tilt more, and is there a way they can be modified that is cost-effective?
2. How do the power seats compare? I know they have tilt functionality in the base so that may help with thigh support. I have very long legs so that may be a factor here.

For those of you who have tried both, which did you choose and why?
Thank you in advance. I have used the search function but have not found comparisons there.

ronco33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #2

I tried both before buying my 986. The sport seats definitely intruded on my shoulder room. I don't think I could ever get used to that. Did not really notice anything else. The seat bottom sides and the lumbar region support is not what I wanted in any flavor of factory seats.

I wound up with standard seats as the power seats just add weight. And I'm the driver 99.99% of the time.

Not sure how well that translates to 987s as I've only sat in them at the dealers' showrooms. And I don't remember much if any difference from my car.

Edit: I did have to have heated seats, even here in south Eastern NC.
PCA since 1970

Last edited by 70Sixter; 02-22-2009 at 08:56 AM. Reason: add info
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #3

I haven't sat in a sports seat but I can tell you the base of the power seat is rather flat too. Last summer I was going to take the bolts out of the front of the seat and throw a 1/4" stack of washers under it to jack it up but I discovered Porsche didn't use a std 6-sided bolt. It had some torx looking head on it (and I mean the head was the male portion not the female part of the torx). Suppose I'll have to buy unique set of sockets for this to go along with my hex, torx, metric, and American sockets. Oh well, it's not a project unless you have to buy a new tool.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:17 PM   #4

I own a 2008 987S with standard seats with a power seat option. Early on I was told, get the Sport Seats, and found out that it did not suit me, as the upper portion of the seat was uncomfortable on my shoulders, and I'm not broad-shouldered. I find the standard seat to be a good balance of support and comfort.

vincesf
Old 02-23-2009, 05:41 AM   #5
bmussatti

I looked into the sport seats when ordering my car. I choose not to get that option, because they were too narrow in the shoulder area.

Sport searts are very cool in the Carrera, for example, because you can have them painted to match the exterior color. In the Boxster, the back of the seats are barely visable.

I also choose not to order the power seats, since I am the only drive, and the seat never needs to be moved. And the power function does not offer any additional adjustibility in the seat. It just added cost. About $600 IIRC.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
I haven't sat in a sports seat but I can tell you the base of the power seat is rather flat too. Last summer I was going to take the bolts out of the front of the seat and throw a 1/4" stack of washers under it to jack it up but I discovered Porsche didn't use a std 6-sided bolt. It had some torx looking head on it (and I mean the head was the male portion not the female part of the torx). Suppose I'll have to buy unique set of sockets for this to go along with my hex, torx, metric, and American sockets. Oh well, it's not a project unless you have to buy a new tool.
Although the seat bolts are star head a 6 point 12 mm socket fits them fine.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzop
Although the seat bolts are star head a 6 point 12 mm socket fits them fine.
Thanks RZ, that's good to know. The only problem is I don't have a set of 6 pt sockets. Went 30 yrs w/o needing one, so it looks like the project will still require some new tools. Now I have to decide if I buy just the 12mm or buy a set. Hmmm, my birthday's 5 wks out...
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:39 PM   #8

It's an E12 Torx socket fwiw.

Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote