Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #1

Pics of custom seats

Hello,
My factory seats where worn out, hard and cracking only after a few years. Even new, the leather never impressed me.

So when it was time for new seats, I looked at buying new and used, but soon realized the cost was crazy.

After looking aroud and calling different custom shops, I found a guy named Paul Champagne ( http://www.designpaulchampagne.com/PorscheLeather.html )who is well know for porsche renovations and leather work.

The price is the same as buying used seats that have the same cardboard porsche leather, However, now, they are custom made with high grade Italian leather. I chose to depart from the typical porsche look and model the seats after the Aston Martin Zagato DB
(http://www.seriouswheels.com/abc/Aston-Martin-Zagato-DB-AR1-Interior.htm)

Anyway here is the current pictures of the progress. What do you guys think?

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
Fred Demara

looks amazing - can't wait to see them done!
Old 02-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #3

Very nice! Please post more pics when you can. Does the seat have seat heater?
Old 02-22-2009, 07:41 AM   #4

Very nice. Are you installing the covers yourself?

What would you think of combing some silver or gray panels in the seats?
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #5

Silver inserts would look nice as well, but i perfer all black. I am not doing the work myself. It is done by a leather installer. also yes the seats have heaters in them. I am going to have the dash and doors covered in black leather as well.
James
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
Old 02-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #6

Those are going to be gorgeous when finished. Did you say they were about the same cost as used Porsche seats??? Based on the way they look in progress, I'd say that's a good deal. Have you sat in any with that design? How comfortable are they?

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:23 AM   #7

Yes the cost is very reasonable. I added a few things, so the cost is a little more, but used seats cost about 1500$ and the leather still is crappy. I wish you guys could feel this leather, super high quaility, FULL leather redo, is less than used seats.

Contact Paul Champagne for costs. I just cant say enough about the quality.

James
Old 02-23-2009, 07:20 AM   #8

James, you forgot to tell everyone you're driving around in my crappy old passenger seat bolted into your driver's seat area!

Boy am I glad to get that seat out of my garage

I cannot wait to see your car fully leather-clad with the doors and dash done too.

You are living my dream. One day, I'll get the entire interior done by your guy when the car is being totally torn down for repainting.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #9

Thanks for the posts. I just bookmarked his site for future reference.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #10

Completed pictures of custom seats

For those interested, These are the final pictures of the seats. I will pick them up soon.

After I get them I will post a final picture of them in the car so yall can see it.

James
Old 02-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Those look fantastic, I would like to do something similar when my seats get worn out. Post some more pictures once you get them installed.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:36 PM   #12
bmussatti

Well done! Nice job.

What leather care product does he recommend you use?
Old 02-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #13

He has not advised me on that yet. He wants to have a leather care meeting prior to pick up. I guess you put that much work into them, you want to be sure they will be around.
He will mail sampes of leather to you prior to you decideing. I wanted black, when i got to his shop, He must have had 20 different blacks. Different grain, thickness, feel, smell, and texture. I picked my leather from a lot of "Top Grain-Full Aniline Dyed Leather" It is super soft, but thick and strong. I also pick the silver French stiching with the porsche monogram lasered into the top.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:46 AM   #14

Those seats look great. I can't wait to see what the dash looks like....I wouldn't mind having leather instead of the cheap looking football texture that the Boxster currently has.

SB
Old 02-27-2009, 08:01 AM   #15

While I relish the thought of sending my seats, door panels, and dash to the same guy as James is using, I must say that an all-leather interior in a convertible is not the best way to go.

Leather on a dashboard is susceptible to all sorts of hazards. It gets a beating from the sun, gets dried out any time the top is down, and then there's the issue of moisture... when and if I get a leather dashboard redo, I will discontinue the use of my windshield defroster and I may even go so far as to block the ventilation to the defroster area permanently when the dash is off for the leather work.

The leather will ripple and separate from the glue with extra cold or hot air blowing by it and condensation and moisture collects at the edge as well.

Just stuff to think about when you decide to go over the top with your boxster.

BTW, I have found that the black leather dye sold by leatherique is simply amazing on porsche vinyl as well as worn leather. It made my passenger door look brand new sans the dings and dents in it. It's a much cheaper alternative to having your black leather and vinyl pieces redone in leather and you do not have to remove the pieces to use it if you are careful.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 02-27-2009 at 08:04 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #16

FYI-

my boxster came with the "full leather" option - which I believe means the covering no my dash is leather. it's not that bumpy plastic crap...it looks nice.

my dad owned the car before me and a couple years before I bought the car, while he had it under warranty, he complained about some ripples in the leather and Porsche replaced the whole dash...

point being - if you have a leather covered dash - you may have the same problem... IIRC his problem was EXTREMELY minor - one small spot was visibly pulling away and bubbled..but it was small. had he not fixed it however, it might have spread and become worse...

it does look nice though.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #17

Holy Poop! Jhandy your seats look unbelievable!!! That was a brilliant choice in black/silver color scheme! I especially like the added leather cover on the hinge where the seat back meets the seat bottom. Nice.
achillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #18

Randall
I see your point about the dash, I may leave it alone. It s silver and has a good contrast.
So far I changed the silver cluster top to black leather, The center pod is now black leather, and the side covers on the radio are now black leather.
I want the doors in leather and the carpet will be changed to the dimond pattern like the seats to tie it in.
The cubby flip top needs to be covered in black leather as well.
Believe it or not, the total cost of the leather transformation including the seats is @ 2K.
they all have the silver french stiching and look amazing.
Pictures to come in about a week.

James
Old 02-28-2009, 05:21 AM   #19
bmussatti

Jhandy, make sure you buy the sun shades at Wal Mart (small- two circles) to protect all that nice new leather.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:43 AM   #20

Those r friggin sweet seats.

billybill is offline   Reply With Quote