Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2009, 03:06 PM   #1

Garage
Aspheric Mirror's

I recently bought a set of aspheric mirrors and thought I would take a couple of pictures from my seated position in the car. I'm 6' and sit with the seat all the way to the rear. My SUV's front bumper was aligned with the rear bumper of the boxster.

Drivers before;

Drivers after;

Passengers before;

Passengers after;

As you can see, the drivers mirror gives a greater field-of-view for safety. You just have to remember that what you are seeing is closer that they appear. The passenger side, on the other hand, seems to actually restrict the field-of-view slightly. The reason is because I sit back so far and the mirror has to be adjusted in such a way that the far corner of the mirror is deep in the mirror housing, obstructing what could be a broader field. I swapped back for the original on the passenger side.

The cost for one mirror from Suncoast is $75.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 02-13-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:42 PM   #2

Cool...I've noticed when changing lanes on the highway, You virtually cannot check over your left shoulder to see if anyone's in your blind spot. Should work for that.
941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #3

Smile

1hope i dont sound like a wise guy but...every car ive had for the last few years has had so so vision from left mirror. the answer has been $1.99 convex mirror. the results are so good. you can see every wherr on your left. i usually place the little mirror far left and at the bottom of the standard mirror. really cool for backing up in tight places
mrfredsporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #4

I bought the circular ones

I'm not that tall, in fact, not tall at all but I had some close encounters before because...most of it occurred at night and with black cars which is somewhat hard to see. Anyhow, I wounded up getting those small convex mirrors that have the adhesive backing.

At first, I really didn't trust those mirrors...but after much time driving with them I must say it does the trick. And at $1.98, it does it really well...guess I should of read mrfredsporty's post first. but yeah, it works and placed properly, it looks well integrated with the mirrors. I'll show some pics when I get a chance.
trieullionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:56 AM   #5

I sold my driver's side aspheric mirror, and replaced it wih ta normal mirror, because I felt that the view, although wider, was distorted and inaccurate. You'd be better off adjusting your mirror so you cannot see your left fender at all. After all, nothing can sneak into a space a foot or so wide between the left door/fender and the normal mirror's view. Personally, I like to just see the left side of the car and use a normal mirror. I'd rather strain to turn my head and see the rear and side view without any distortion. This is not a car that you want to get into a sideswipe accident with!!!
Of course, this is all individual taste/opinion.
Bob
Old 02-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #6

I love the aspheric mirrors. IMHO one of the best mods I have made. I wouldn't drive without them.

I am glad that everyone has their own opinions though.
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #7

Didn't know there are so many batmen in the forum...

I just use my neck.

Except if you are this guy.

Last edited by ekam; 02-15-2009 at 03:04 PM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:13 PM   #8

My Aspheric Fix

$1.99 Fix. Doesn't look bad as long as you do it evenly on both sides.
trieullionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:38 AM   #9

I have adjusted my mirrors as described in this article for about the last 10 years. Once you get used to it it helps to greatly reduce the blind spot. Admittedly, the blind spot on the Boxster is bigger than any other car I've owned so I don't adjust them quite as wide as usual, but this methods helps some on the Boxster and virtually eliminates the blind spots on my other vehicles. - Takes a while to get used to, but now I can't drive a car without the mirrors set like this.

http://www.arng.army.mil/Safety%20Tips/MirrorAdjustment.pdf
Old 02-21-2009, 03:39 PM   #10

I've had 2 types of asheric mirrors

the first was convex over its entire surface and replaced the entire mirror, the second car has ones just like yours with the 2 panel effect. I too did both sides. You got a good deal as used I think mine were almost the same price.

Sure the circular mirrors do the job but they don't look right to my way of thinking. Tacky. IMHO, YMMV

And yes they do cover the blind spots created by the size of the center mirror and the corners of the top when it is up.

I liked the difference from stock enough that I bought the second set for my second Boxster. I'm not sure it is safe on the freeways without it. Those blind spots are bad and big SUVs just seem to always be in that blind spot and they can't see you over their high fenders.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote