Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 12:17 PM   #1

Exclamation CarFax crap and passenger side airbag cover

I ran a CarFax on a one owner Boxster that I'm purchasing and it came back as being owned twice, yet the dealership where he bought it and has had it serviced the entire time confirmed he is the original owner and has had it maintained there since purchased in 2001. Ray Catena Porsche in Edison, NJ. The VIN number is right so how can that be? I know CarFax can be crap but how can they get that wrong or is something going on here?

Also, car checked out fine but I noticed the passenger side airbag dash cover loose at the bottom and slightly sticking out (please see attached photo). Has anyone else had this problem or could this be an indication that it was once deployed (ie. an accident?)

Should I question the owner about both or will I risk him telling me to pound sand? Nice guy, seems straight up.

Thanks,
Ice

icedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #2

Garage
Ice,

I have a CarFax account, can you PM me with the VIN, I'd like to see where the two owners show up. If you don't fell comfortable with that, copy the CarFax report in a word Doc and attach it to you next post.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #3

Garage
Ice,

Thanks for the PM. When I ran the report it definitely says 2 owners. The first in Staten Island and the second in New Jersey. You might need the help of a banker on this one; the second owner leased the car and I would assume a loan was taken out in Illinois. Illinois must be a title holding state (while the loan is active) and driven in New Jersey. I didn't think you could get a loan on a lease? Reason I say this is because the lessee really doesn't "own" the car. That's why I say you might need the help of a banker.

If I were you I'd print off the Car Fax report and confront the dearer (stealer) ship and make them explain themselves. Sounds like a $5,000 reduction in price because of deceptive selling practices to me. Get a PPI done by a different dealership and make them pay for it. Also, ask for the receipts all the way back from the first time it was serviced, if the owner doesn't have them ask the dealership to see the servicing they performed (and owners).

If you have a bad feeling about the deal, walk away.

Good luck!

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 02-08-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #4

Garage
P.S. Another thing I noticed on the report; you said "yet the dealership where he bought it and has had it serviced the entire time confirmed he is the original owner and has had it maintained there since purchased in 2001". The report doesn't show any servicing recorded! When cars are serviced at dealerships the servicing is usually documented and reported (because of warranty) and that info is on Car Fax reports. This one has none!
Old 02-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #5

Thanks for the help

It was the seller (private party) who told me he was the original owner and where he bought it from. I then called the dealership and spoke to the service folks who told me it was bought and maintained there, that it had routine maintenance (the car only has 40, 122 miles on it) and that there were no issues with it. Then I run the CarFax to be sure and I got what you saw. I think he had it in for maintenance only a few times since he put 5k a year on the car. You can see my other post "I'm taking the plunge......." the car looks perfect. He also said he worked for IBM in NJ so I called them and asked for him and they put me to his voice mail so I feel very good about it and quite honestly would have never had or felt anything negative about the deal until the CarFax pulled it as 2 owners. I guess I'll confront the seller.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #6

PS - he has the title

I've seen it. I could ask him if he has the original paperwork from the sale.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #7

Ask the owner

if the car had less than 20 miles on it when he bought it. I'll bet the car was a demo, or a loaner and/or the car was titled to the dealership as the first owner.

Dealers have been known to do that to get the car recorded as sold to increase their commission or allotment of cars. Those were the days.

Both the Boxsters I've bought have been owned by 2 owners before me. As Porsches are often sold because people's circumstances change, I don't consider that significant.

I'd still have a PPI done to verify the condition. Cost about $250 in labor, immense peace of mind.

IMHO.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #8

My carfax report also showed one more owner than it actually had. I think it was a lienholder or lease problem. Owner number 2 "owned" it for a day or two.
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #9

Thanks-what about the airbag cover?

anyone else seen this where the dash cover for passenger airbag is loose on the bottom? (you can see it from the picture)
Old 02-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #10

I don't think it's significant either

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
if the car had less than 20 miles on it when he bought it. I'll bet the car was a demo, or a loaner and/or the car was titled to the dealership as the first owner.

Dealers have been known to do that to get the car recorded as sold to increase their commission or allotment of cars. Those were the days.

Both the Boxsters I've bought have been owned by 2 owners before me. As Porsches are often sold because people's circumstances change, I don't consider that significant.

I'd still have a PPI done to verify the condition. Cost about $250 in labor, immense peace of mind.

IMHO.
but for him to tell me he is the only owner questions his integrity yet everything else other than the carfax has checked out. Very strange.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #11

Garage
This one is a little different guys. The first owner bought it in2001 and put 25,000 miles on it. The second owner leased it in 2004 and the title was held in Illinois. The last activity was in 2005 for an inspection in Jersey with 30K on the clock.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #12

I forgot to mention in my previous post... my airbag cover looks exactly the same (lower left sticks out just a tiny bit). I'd be curious to hear if there is a fix for this, or if this is just how they all are.
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #13

I think that is normal... mine is like that too...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:17 AM   #14

last service was done by dealer in Jan 2008

oil change and filter. That's why I don't put a lot of stock in Carfax
Old 02-09-2009, 06:41 AM   #15

There is chance that the seller is the original and only owner and that he either transferred the title to or from a family member or leased the car to a personal business to use as an expense.

I'd put more focus on the PPI results and service records, than tracing the ownership back to square one.

I bet if you ask the seller he would let you know the reason for the questionable ownership records. If he blows you off or gives you reason to doubt his story, just pass on this one and find another that meets your expectations.