Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #1

Control Arm Bushings

Just finished installing rubber control arm bushings from www.elephant racing.com .
They work great-squeaks are gone .
Dave

dcdrechsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #2

I just checked their site and didn't see anything for the 986.
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #3

New product line for them .
Old 02-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdrechsel
New product line for them .
Any pictures from your setup or of the bushings? Can you elaborate on the installation procedure and your full impressions with the new setup? Thanks in advance...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #5

How much were they?
Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #6

Unfortunately I do not have pictures .There are three bushings per control arm -2 for the cylindrical section (bolts to frame) and one for the center attachment .I only needed the cylindrical pair .Cost is $ 75.00 for the cylindrical pair and $ 90.00 for the center attachment .
Bentley does a good job of describing the removal and installation of the control arms which isn't too difficult .
With the arms removed you have to remove the old rubber bushing and the metal shell that is pressed into the arm .The rubber part comes out with vice grips .The metal shell needs to carefully split with an hacksaw and then driven out .I used a wood dowel rod as a puch .Not sure you have to be that delicate .
Pressing the new bushings in ......I used a 1/2 " threaded rod and 4 hardwood blocks .Two of the blocks were drilled out with a hole saw to fit over the rubber bushing and mate with the metal shell .(This sure would be easier with a picture ....next time ).The other two blocks are just drilled for the 1/2 metal rod and complete the press sandwich .Two flat washers and nuts and just start tightening .
Hope this helps ............
Old 02-07-2009, 05:36 AM   #7

DC where are you located in PA?

I am buying my 01 Boxster this week from a one owner. Excited! I'm in the Allentown area and I'm looking for fellow Boxster owners to keep in touch with/ride with and share knowledge/experience with.

Paul

icedude is offline   Reply With Quote