Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #1

Rear Bumper Questions and Help needed

I have a 2003 2.7 Boxster and have just bought a full Caractere kit. I got a GREAT deal on the full kit but the problem is that the kit has the bumper for the 2002 and earlier bumper. My understanding is that the difference is in the spoiler shape. The 2003 is more curved and the 2002 which is straight across.

My question is does anyone know if the 2002 spoiler would work on the 2003? Is it just the top piece that needs changing? I was considering going this route rather than modifying the kit. I was thinking that I could get the parts for less than the labor on modifying the kit.

I am open to suggestions.

fortunato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:03 AM   #2

Interesting problem... sorry that I don't know the exact answer. My "guess" would be that you could make the older bumper work by just adding a matching older spoiler. I'd bet it was just a styling change and that the underlying "guts" of the spoiler mechanism is the same. What I would do is go to the Porsche website and download the parts lists for both the '02 and '03 and compare the mechanism part numbers. That way you could see if the mechanism that raises the spoiler is the same part between years.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #3

Spoiler change

I went the other way on ours when it was involved in an accident. We replaced the 1999 bumper and spoiler with the 2003 style. The spoiler is different but uses all the same parts except the top cap and spoiler itself. I might even have them around here somewhere. They were not damaged I just liked the updated look of the new bumper and had to change those to make it work. Rick Wooldridge at rickw@insightbb.com

Rickw1313 is offline   Reply With Quote