Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 05:38 AM   #1

Box won't go...

I've searched previous posts for a few hours and come up empty handed.

Yesterday (very cold in Detroit), but I let it warm up for about 10-15 mins., I took my Boxster out for a 4 mile trip. When I neared my destination, it seemed like the clutch was grabbing, when not depressed. Almost like the clutch was in, but it wasn't. When I left my destination, 2 minutes later, the transmission would not engage. I ran through all the gears and the engine just revved. Strangely, I was in gear and let the clutch go, there was no stalling, no movement either. The clutch now feels a bit soft.

Gearbox is full of good fluid. Brake fluid is at the right level.

So what do you kids think? Clutch? Master or Slave? Tranny (please God, NO!)?

I'm sorry if my explanation of the problem is choppy. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

99 Boxster, 2.5L, 5 Speed w/30K Miles

randoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #2

Garage
Unhappy clutch

indication of a clutch failure: is the ability to engage a gear while depressing the clutch pedal, release the clutch pedal and nothing happens, cars does not stall and no forward motion

indication of slave cyl failure; is when pushing the clutch pedal down does not disengage the engine from the gearbox, if you have to pump it several times to effect a gear change that also is indicative of a slave cyl failure...

i would suspect master cyl failure would be similar to slave cyl failure

best guess is your clutch is toast...

did it give off any loud noises when engaged but nothing is happening?

03-r1100s, 11-f800st, 09-987.2, Norton Commando
auf adlers fluegeln getragen
litteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Most likely time for a new clutch, does the car really have 30K miles on it?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by litteng
indication of a clutch failure: is the ability to engage a gear while depressing the clutch pedal, release the clutch pedal and nothing happens, cars does not stall and no forward motion

indication of slave cyl failure; is when pushing the clutch pedal down does not disengage the engine from the gearbox, if you have to pump it several times to effect a gear change that also is indicative of a slave cyl failure...

i would suspect master cyl failure would be similar to slave cyl failure

best guess is your clutch is toast...

did it give off any loud noises when engaged but nothing is happening?
Excellent Post. Thanks for the confirmation. No strange noises or sounds. I agree it is the clutch. Thanks again!
Old 01-29-2009, 05:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Most likely time for a new clutch, does the car really have 30K miles on it?
Thanks Paul. That seems to be the case. Yes it has 32,000 miles. I bought it from a Dentist that only drove it about 3K a summer. It still had the original Conti's with plenty of tread left when I got it. I was a good find. I know everyone says their car is mint, but this one really was. The guy really pampered it. Not a stratch or spec of dirt anywhere. I felt guilty when I practically stole it. Thanks for your tip.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Maybe rust on the pressure plate and/or clutch surfaces hastened the wear of the clutch disk.

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote