Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #1

Paint job for boxster

I have a boxster 109k miles. Needless to say, it's got some dings and scratches. I was considering getting it painted, but don't know any good places. I called up a local Maaco and they asked me to bring it in but I don't know if I want to go there. I've read some reviews and they are very mixed. Not sure I want to go with a place that has a lot of good and bad reviews. I'd rather be with someone who is consistenly good. Anyone know of places that are good? I'm in daytona beach if that makes a difference. I would be willing to travel if it was a reasonable distance <50 miles, and the quality would be assured.

Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #2

My 2 pennies....

A good local independent most times will easily outperform Maaco. If you're going to spend the money, spend a bit more and get a paint job you will enjoy.

If you have the time and inclination, remove as much as you can easily once you drop it off. Headlights, markers, everything you get out of the way will make for a better job, good luck..
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #3

How can I use wax to maximize the paint job?
Old 03-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper5
How can I use wax to maximize the paint job?

Not sure what you're asking, I was addressing the removal of parts otherwise taped off, it's always a cleaner job when everything within reason is taken off. I once worked at a dealership and the best jobs were disassembled. As for the wax, that's like asking what's your favorite beer, everyone has a different take. Depending on how many dings you have and the quality of the rest of the paint you might be able to get a good shop to spot it in and buff the entire car out, that would save some bling too...
Old 03-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #5

I heard that wax can make the paint last longer. I was asking if it would be beneficial for the paint job to wax before/after or if it even matters.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #6

please post pictures of your damage.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper5
I heard that wax can make the paint last longer. I was asking if it would be beneficial for the paint job to wax before/after or if it even matters.

Don't bother, they will use prep that will strip off any wax, however, after a period where the paint has cured, waxing it will most definitely keep it looking good and protect the paint.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #8

Maaco is a cheap place to get your car painted, and you definitely get what you pay for. I'd avoid them. Ask you mechanic who he recommends.

A good place to find out more about paint protection after you get the car sprayed is Autopia .
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #9

Expect to pay $3500 ~ $4500 for a proper paint job on a Boxster. This will include removal of the headlights, taillamps, rubber gaskets, and whatever body panel parts can be removed and sprayed individually and put back on the car. Takes a number of weeks too while they remove it all, spray it, sand it, spray it, sand it, spray it, sand it, and put it back on the car.

Maaco does inexpensive paint jobs because they tape off everything and don't remove a thing if they don't have to do it. If you take off the rubber windshield gasket, you'll see your old paint. They also don't keep sanding and painting until the metal looks like glass. Expect a lot of "orange peel" when the light hits your paint.... a sign of poor painting techniques and shoddy workmanship.

BTW, don't change colors on the paint unless you want to spend at least $4500.00 on the paint job. They'll be forced to disassemble the whole car to do it right.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote