Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 05:27 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
P0441 Fuel Tank Ventilation System - Above Limit

Hey Guys, I need some help diagnosing an issue im having with my 97 Boxster.

One day, Im driving 65MPH on the freeway when I hear what sounds like a handgun being fired from inside my engine compartment... The engine didnt hickup or anything but once I was off the freeway the Idle was alittle unstable, moving from 900 - 1100rpm's and I got a CEL with 1 code (P0441 Fuel Tank Ventilation System - Above Limit )

She sometimes stalls during idle and will take about 7 seconds of cranking to start back up & sometimes comes close but doesnt stall.
Also, when I turn off the engine after about 10min drive I'll hear a sound similar to a low toned 1 second honk coming from either the passenger front Fender or engine bay... Hard to tell, really.

Any ideas what would cause all these symptoms?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg

Last edited by CJ_Boxster; 01-21-2009 at 05:52 PM.
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:50 PM   #2

BUMP!

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 01-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #3

UPDATE!!!

Figured it out...

I hooked my Boxster up to our shops Durametric software and ran the Drive Links section and activated the Fuel Evap Valve and sure enough I couldnt hear it click on & off like it should once the durametric software tries to activate it. So I gave it afew hard taps with the knob of a screwdriver and sure enough it started clicking on & off and the honking went away... Part number is 996.110.129.05 circled in RED

So if anyone else is having issues with honking noise that sounds like it comes from the engine bay or from inside the passenger front fender... keep this part in mind.

Its located just below the driverside intake plenum with 1 electrical connector going into it, 1 hard line that non-removable and a rubber hose that is removable that plugs into the bottom passenger side of the throttle body.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 02-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #4

I also have the same problem just last week, thanks for part #, but can it be a DIY?...does anybody have a link how to replace it?
thanks in advance
eddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddison
I also have the same problem just last week, thanks for part #, but can it be a DIY?...does anybody have a link how to replace it?
thanks in advance
Yup it's a diy. Just makesure u have strong wire cutters so u can cut the hard plastic line, there's a clamp that is impossible to remove without taking off the plenum. Also ull need pliers to remove the clamp on the rubber hose from the sensor. And a flash light to look under the drivers side of the firewall near the engine to pull the already cut plastic hose out from under neath the car. Then route the new sensor under the plenum from up top and then once it's inplace, tiewrap the hard plastic hose from the new sensor to the old clamp that held the old sensors hard line. That's pretty much it.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 02-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #6

thanks CJ.....
eddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:40 AM   #7

Garage
Good morning old thread.. Welcome to the future!

Ehhh..

Well, I got the P0441, however no strange noices.. Would the 996.110.129.05 -valve be the prime suspect? When activating the valve via Durametric I can hear a faint klick when activating but nothing when deactivating (or if it was the other way around)

Any chance the valve on 996.110.129.05 is removable? Itīs kind of expensive for what it is..

EDIT: I guess I can just saw off the hard line and make some kind of connection to fit to the new valve.
EDIT-2: The valve seem to be Bosch 0280142300 a lot cheaper than getting the whole Porsche assembly. https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/99611012953.htm?pn=996-110-129-53-M14

Last edited by Robert986; 02-16-2021 at 09:53 AM.
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote