986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How often do you go "topless" (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1940)

redcars.org 01-24-2005 01:18 PM

How often do you go "topless"

Since I've not owned any roadsters before, I was wondering when and where do you guys let your top down, and is it really noisy driving on the freeway? Thanks.

RandallNeighbour 01-24-2005 01:50 PM

I drive with the top down just as often as possible. IMO, the Boxster looks ugly with the top up... and mine rattles like a snake with the top up, so I find it far more fun with the top down.

Yes, the freeway sounds are always loud in this car, top up or down. This is the plague of most soft-top convertibles. Hence, a loud stereo system and exhaust note :)

plaingod2 01-24-2005 01:56 PM

I will let you know in a week from now.

Jeannot 01-24-2005 02:02 PM

From April/May until End of September, ONLY TOPLESS :-)

St. Louis Boxster 01-24-2005 02:40 PM

if its sunny and dry.. my top is down at 45 degrees, if it's 55 and above it does matter on the sunny part. turn the heat on, seat heaters on and it's a like a hot tub in the cockpit. Even people that are cold all the time are surprised by how nice it feels in there at those temperatures.

redcars.org 01-24-2005 02:48 PM

It will definitely be a new experience for me, but I'm pretty excited to get a topless car ;) Thanks for the replies so far.

donv 01-24-2005 02:53 PM

In New England, topless season for me is ~late March to mid-November (thanks to heated seats).

Seeing where you live, I think you're going to experience a lot of road noise given the size of the highways and the resulting traffic levels. However, on a smaller quiet road and at lower revs (OK speed, just not revving highly) I'm perfectly able to hold a conversation in the car when "topless" at a normal volume and even on the highway without getting hoarse. If I remember correctly, there is a road out there that offers a nice twisty jaunt over to Half Moon Bay through the (Santa Cruz?) mountains that would be a nice quiet ride... maybe you can test it there and see for yourself. :cool:

Pablito 01-25-2005 11:43 AM

Every morning heading to the office and every evening going home........whenever the rain is not haunting me or the sun is not scorching, my top is down. Thankfully in the caribbean we have an average of 86 degrees all year round, It's the hurricanes that spoils it for everybody....

porsche986 01-25-2005 01:06 PM

I dont think i have had my top up yet.... :)
I always drive topless rain, snow, freezing, ANYTIME.
Thought i was the only one and i saw another boxster flash and wave at me in FREEEEEEEZING weather with his hood down. lol

Pilot2519j 01-26-2005 06:35 PM

Topless

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablito
Every morning heading to the office and every evening going home........whenever the rain is not haunting me or the sun is not scorching, my top is down. Thankfully in the caribbean we have an average of 86 degrees all year round, It's the hurricanes that spoils it for everybody....

Here I am in NY looking at the ground covered in snow. :( . I am originally from Cuba and lived there until 1960 fleeing because of bearded bastard that ruined the country, Fidel. Pablito how I envy you!!! driving the car in the beach with an ocean view of the beautiful and clear and warm Caribbean water must be almost sinful. You are a most fortunate guy.
Usually when the temperature is over 50 and sunny I lower the top and blast the heater high. Nothing like going to work and returning from work with the top down. I used to crank the music loud but when the top comes down I now prefer listening to the symphony produced by the engine. I would say from March to November is when the top is mainly down. I'm already counting the days for the top to come down. :cool:

aglsteven 01-27-2005 02:09 AM

Living in Melbourne, Australia, I can drive with the hood down all year round. I need extra heating on if it's less than 17C, hood down and aircon on when it's hotter than +30C and the hood comes back up at anything over 35C. It just gets too hot then. The weather is really changeable here, so sometimes when I leave the office it can be sunny, and half way home at the lights I have to put the hood up because it has started to rain. Gotta love it.

There are loads of Boxsters here and most of the 911's are convertibles.

PAH 01-27-2005 03:30 AM

When it isn't raining, the top goes down. I keep a coat and hot in the car always incase it is too cold!

On Boxing Day I drove from Derbyshire to Lancashire with the top down in the snow. Not actually snowing, but lots of it on the ground (see my avatar). It was very refreshing.

Looking froward to summer though, it's nice to be able to drive with the top down without the heater being on full-blast and several layers of clothes on!

Sentinel 01-27-2005 10:10 AM

The Boxters have TOPS!? ;)

- Sun Diego, CA

redcars.org 01-27-2005 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel
The Boxters have TOPS!? ;)

- Sun Diego, CA

:D Good one.

Automon 01-27-2005 11:02 AM

I only drive mine in the summer and then only on nice days so i would say anytime that i drive it. When I store the car i store it with the hardtop on and then in the summer I store the hard top and use the soft.