Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2008, 12:12 PM   #1

986 *Front* Spoiler

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in this picture and in some other's I've seen, it seems as though people are putting on just a front spoiler kind of thing under their stock bumper to make it look lowered/'aftermarket.'

I'll attach a photo of what I'm talking about.

If I'm not mistaken, this would just attach or bolt-on under the stock one?
This might be a known modification but I've just never heard anything about it.

Nineteen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:08 PM   #2

those are generally referred to as a front "lip"

I haven't looked around for any, but I bet if you do a google search you will find a bunch

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
EE3racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragdude
those are generally referred to as a front "lip"

I haven't looked around for any, but I bet if you do a google search you will find a bunch

The lip spoiler that mates to the GT3 factory piece looks a bit different. In either case, if you use the lip you have to almost stop at lot entrance to avoid the dreaded scrape and if you lower the car I'm betting it would be a daily event.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:56 AM   #4

Technically it is referred to as a fascia extension. And sometime called 'ground effects" by the aftermarket boyz.

Car do not have "bumpers" any more, they have fascia's. , plastic injection molded Talc Filled Polyolofins, probably 2.5mm to 3mm thick. The extensions are normally TPO also. Although Mercedes still uses RIM for the M series front and rear fascia.

I know...TMI.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:25 AM   #5

I like it, but my drive would rip it off first try. I already scrape the undernose on occasion (glad no one can see it). '02 S lowered with H&R sport springs, BTW.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:37 AM   #6

TechArt made a better looking "Add On" front spoilers for the 896. They seem to flow better with their side skirts than the photo of the black car.

Last edited by Aron in Toronto; 12-23-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Aron in Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:48 AM   #7

Cargraphic also makes a lip spoiler.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:53 AM   #8

i really like the cargraphic front "fascia" and the old 911 style hood and side skirts. I would do that to my car if i had the paper.

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #9

I'm going to have to point out that those lip spoiler block air going to the brake ducts!!
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #10
EE3racing

Vath, the part as listed in the 986 online catalog.

Main group 8: Body

Third item:

802: bumper, front

When you remove the cover, it looks even more like an old school bumper, a chunk of aluminum mounted on shocks. Just sayin.....
Old 12-25-2008, 03:39 AM   #11

Well, the painted exterior part of the car that you see.. the "bumper cover or skin".. is called the fascia. The beam, the energy absober (foam), the fascia, etc are all part of the front/rear end modules.

I know what the owners manual and shop manuals have written. Fascia is what its called in the industry. I never heard it called that until I started making them.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE3racing
In either case, if you use the lip you have to almost stop at lot entrance to avoid the dreaded scrape.
Or you can take it an angle. There's only a couple places in town of the hundreds I go to that I scrape. I've got the 996 Turbo front end and it hangs as much as that lip spoiler on the Box above.

Last edited by yellowboxster01; 12-25-2008 at 09:19 AM.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:57 AM   #13
EE3racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01
Or you can take it an angle. There's only a couple places in town of the hundreds I go to that I scrape. I've got the 996 Turbo front end and it hangs as much as that lip spoiler on the Box above.

Yeah I've used the angle trick, not always reliable but the best approach to the problem..
Old 12-26-2008, 01:27 PM   #14

Well, thank all of you for your responses--maybe with the new terms I can find somethin' now.
Nineteen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:16 PM   #15

Send a message via MSN to Darkhamr
Hey Vath, I'm going to guess you work at Norplas?
Darkhamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:54 AM   #16

Bingo. I'll PM you.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #17
JMP

Front End

Hi Everyone, a friend of mine makes these front ends for Porsches and also all kinds of Body Kits, Spoilers, Side Skirts and Rear Ends. This is the best looking one I have ever seen and I am putting it on my car along with the rest of an entire kit. PM me for details, Jerry
JMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:59 AM   #18

The 996 GT3 MK1 bumper that fits the first gen Boxster has an optional Porsche OEM lower lip spoiler. It is actually designed to be a spoiler. I put mine on in the garage but have never driven with it. I was working on the car the other night and confirmed that was a wise decision. My relatively new GT3 bumper is already scraped pretty well underneath and I am careful, taking inclines at a good angle. If I'd had the lip spoiler on, it surely would have been torn off by now. I'll save it for when I do a track event. BTW - my car is lowered on coilovers, so yes it's low.

There's another lower front lip on eBay for the 996 GT3 MK1 bumper. The OEM piece is pretty small and bolts right onto the bumper. Some of the more radical lips though that you see are not simple bolt-ons. They're fiberglass and need to be glued and molded to the bumper. I've steered clear of these for a couple of reasons:

1. One good hit and the fiberglass will crack/break.

2. The car's front will be much lower, making #1 above even more of an issue.

3. For the cost of the front lip (~$375 or so), fitting, and painting you can just about buy a complete bumper in a different design (GT2, GT3, turbo, RUF, etc.) if you really want a different look, and have it painted/fit for not much more (assuming less fitting work, the GT3 bumper is a direct bolt-on).

Attached is a photo of the eBay lip added to an OEM GT3 MK1 bumper.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914

Last edited by Kirk; 01-22-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #19

I have a GT3 Mk1 bumper and the optional lip "spoiler" is called a splitter. The do tend to scrape on steep dips unless you take them at an angle, but the plastic is actually pretty hardy. You can use a file to dress them up most of the time unless the hit is very hard. regardless, they only cost about $70 from Suncoast so I just keep a spare around for when I will inevitably break it.
Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #20

GT3 Bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
The 996 GT3 MK1 bumper that fits the first gen Boxster has an optional Porsche OEM lower lip spoiler. It is actually designed to be a spoiler. I put mine on in the garage but have never driven with it. I was working on the car the other night and confirmed that was a wise decision. My relatively new GT3 bumper is already scraped pretty well underneath and I am careful, taking inclines at a good angle. If I'd had the lip spoiler on, it surely would have been torn off by now. I'll save it for when I do a track event. BTW - my car is lowered on coilovers, so yes it's low.

There's another lower front lip on eBay for the 996 GT3 MK1 bumper. The OEM piece is pretty small and bolts right onto the bumper. Some of the more radical lips though that you see are not simple bolt-ons. They're fiberglass and need to be glued and molded to the bumper. I've steered clear of these for a couple of reasons:

1. One good hit and the fiberglass will crack/break.

2. The car's front will be much lower, making #1 above even more of an issue.

3. For the cost of the front lip (~$375 or so), fitting, and painting you can just about buy a complete bumper in a different design (GT2, GT3, turbo, RUF, etc.) if you really want a different look, and have it painted/fit for not much more (assuming less fitting work, the GT3 bumper is a direct bolt-on).

Attached is a photo of the eBay lip added to an OEM GT3 MK1 bumper.

Kirk
The added lower spoiler doesn't look too good with the MK1. I've seen it in person and I think it looks a bit thick & chunky, a bit bottom heavy for the over all look. Good choice Kirk on not adding it.

By the way, the Fiberwerks bumper that JMP is getting is really awesome. I saw it at Parade of Porsche at St. Armand's Circle in Sarasota on a 911, pretty wicked looking in person. I had ordered one myself, along with their GT3 RS side skirt. My car is going to look stunning by the time it is fitted and painted with these new components.

As for the ongoing concerns a lot of folks have about fiberglass, I'm not too worried about it. I got to talk with Karl, the owner for quite a while about their process and fabrication method and I'm confident he knows how to build them right. In fact, this is actually the second time I've ordered from Fiberwerks. The first was the rear wing spoiler I ordered about a year ago. Karl has pics of my 986 tail posted on his website. Plus, I haven't lowered my car so clearance should be okay. Change my oil using a ramp so lowering is not an option at this point...will have to see how it clears with the new bumper installed. Can always take it to a shop, as oil changes aren't frequent for these vehicles anyways, so no biggie. The good news is that if it ever gets damaged, fiberglass is repairable so I'm all good...I wish I could say the same for my factory bumper. I was at a Lowe's and hooked one of those parking stall curbs and it ripped the passenger side up and cracked the paint pretty bad. Bad things sometimes happen for a reason I suppose...like a good new bumper. Cheerios.

BTW, today is Chinese New Year, so wishing everyone a prosperous year ahead and cool new mods in the months to come.

Anyhow, some pictures to come but here is a glimpse of these parts on a 996. Pretty excited.

trieullionaire is offline   Reply With Quote