Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 05:02 PM   #1

Aftermarket seats

Greetings, the seats in my 2002 base boxster are not in the greatest shape. They are not heated, and the leather on the passenger seat is pretty beat up. Instead of recovering them or fixing them some other way, I am interested in replacing them with aftermarket seats. The seats I am looking at are Sparco Steel seats. they are wider than factory, with less pronounced bottom side bolsters. I don't race the car, and would really like a more comfortable, less restraining seat. Does anyone have any experience with these seats, or favorable reviews on any others? I am not interested in blowing huge money on GT3 seats or anything like that. The sparcos can be had for less than a grand including the adaptors and rails. Thanks....

fastorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:08 AM   #2

Don't buy replica racing seats for a daily driven car. Most of what Momo, Sparco sell are crap. They only meet the most minimal of crash standards. Your current factory seats are 100000% better quality than a $300 "racing" seat. In an unexpected crash that cheap seat will bend like a Pepsi can...with you in it.

I paid $2,000 delivered for my GT3's on Ebay. They were 98% new. Check Rennlist.com in the 996 and 996 GT3 forum. They're always selling used sets over there. Or pick up a used set of OEM 996/Boxster seats from a salvage yard like LA dismantlers if you live in the area and can buy in person. Don't order from those guys based on just the pics..they have a bad reputation for that, you'll just wind up with another set of beat up seats.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:19 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into the used GT3 market, but those seats don't look all that comfortable, and somewhat restraining. I am 6 foot 200 lbs., and don't like having my butt squished into a narrow seat for a long period of time. I am looking for something wider and more comfortable, at the expense of being less "sporty". Thanks

fastorange is offline   Reply With Quote