Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #1

Need help!...is this what I think it is?

My 98 Boxster has a serious oil burning problem. NO its not the regular oil burning at start up. In fact there really isn't any of that.
Also Keep in mind I just spent 3 hrs searching this forum for answers and I think I have an idea for my exact problem but never did find anyone posting the exact same thing. Here it goes...

Regular driving is perfect, engine runs awesome, smells good, idles great, perfect perfect. Then Im going down the road and I punch the throttle right to redline- shift (tiptronic) and hit the redline again, then I hear sort of a "GULP" sound in the engine and there is absolutely nothing behind me except smoke!! Like traffic has to slow down because they cannot see! It is bad. Then if I drive regular speed it clear out after a moment but still has a little bit coming out, just enough to see and smell but not blocking the road. After about 10mins of driving it is back to, "no smoke".

It's like at very high rpm's the engine takes a mouthfull of oil somewhere somehow and then takes a long time to burn it off. What in the H*** would cause this?

Most posts on here are suggesting the A/O separator is the culprit for most smoke related issues but I am not sure if it pertains to my exact problem.

Help help. suggestions??

vipondrr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:00 PM   #2

Smokin' the competition? Sorry I had to lol, have you physically checked out the exhaust area or taken a quick look at the engine, I doubt it would be anything like that but it's sometimes the obvious we overlook that ends up being the solution, it's happened to me plenty of times!
Nineteen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #3

Not knowing the particulars, but I think you've already figured out the problem.

Search not only here, but www.renntech.org

You'll solve you're problem (AOS).
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipondrr65
Most posts on here are suggesting the A/O separator is the culprit for most smoke related issues but I am not sure if it pertains to my exact problem.
Help help. suggestions??
Why don't you think it's the A/O Separator?
It certainly sounds like it's gone bad from your recount.
If you have the OEM on a '98 (horizontal top) and haven't replaced it with the newer (vertical top and new "J" tube) you could be in a lot of trouble.
When the A/O Separator fails completely and it sound as as if it has, it can pass enough liquid oil into the combustion chamber to cause hydro-lock and catastrophic engine failure.
Get it checked out asap.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 01-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
Track rat

Garage
+1 AOS. You know what to do.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:10 AM   #6

Thanks a lot guys.

I'm heading out now to take a look at the separator and see if there is some oil in the tube etc. I think I've been extremely lucky because it still runs great and doesn't smoke at all if I drive it nicely. I am under the impression that there is no internal damage YET as there are no signs of it. But it is parked now until I get it replaced.

Will let you know the outcome.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:54 AM   #7

Well I think we hit it BANG ON!

I took off the "J" tube and it had a lot of oil in it! to the point where, when I tipped it up, a little bit dripped out.
Man I don't know how this engine is still running so well?? They must be a very strong engine. Thanks guys. I'll be changing this thing over asap.

Now for some reason the convertible top "warning light" is lit up on the dash. Is this just because I don't have it closed all the way?? It seems tight though and all 3 latches are done up.

Last edited by vipondrr65; 01-10-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:46 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipondrr65
Well I think we hit it BANG ON!

I took off the "J" tube and it had a lot of oil in it! to the point where, when I tipped it up, a little bit dripped out.
Man I don't know how this engine is still running so well?? They must be a very strong engine. Thanks guys. I'll be changing this thing over asap.
How much was it dripping? can you put it in perspective?
Old 01-11-2009, 08:01 PM   #9

Yeah about one drop after holding it up for 5 mins. When I stuck my finger in it, oil covered the end of my finger. Also when I stuck my pinky finger in the throttle body, where the J tube connects, it also covered my finger with oil. Only once though. The second time dipping my finger in it, it was just a little bit. So I took a rag and stuck it in there carefully soaking up whatever might have been left.

I got the separator last night. Will be putting it on later this week.