Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #1

rear fog light?

do our boxsters have a rear fog light? where one of your rear tailights is "on" brighter...

today I saw a 993 in front of me and he had one tail light REALLY bright - almostg like a fog light... a month or so ago a friend and I were out driving and he commented i had one rear tail light that looked too bright - I just thought it was a bulb or something and never thought anything about it... but now that I saw that 911, I'm wondering if what my friend saw was a rear fog light and I could have somehow inadvertently turned it on???

i could go bust out my owners manual and pour through it - but thought I'd ask here - it's more fun to post on this forum than read the manual.

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #2

Yes, when you turn on your front fog lights, pull the knob one more time and you'll turn on the rears fog light.
crios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #3

We do have a rear fog light. Pull the headlight control knob out two clicks. The first click is for front fogs and the second turns on the rear fog light.

SB
Old 01-05-2009, 03:49 AM   #4

Garage
It's common on European cars to have a rear fog lamp but I wonder why American cars don't have one? I wonder if there are local laws that prohibit the use of a rear facing bright light that stays on all the time? Might be something to check into. I know I've been pulled over and fined for having my fog lights on in my SUV when conditions didn't warrant the use. I used the excuse that they're driving lights not fog lights, it didn't work.

Oklahoma, go figure.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 01-05-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:07 AM   #5

Usually it is the left rear light only (so not to be confused with brakes) and is really needed in Europe where even in dense fog it is not unusual to see cars going 80+ mph. I remember driving to southern Germany from Frankfurt in our Volvo through dense fog. I was going 45 mph and I was passed numerous times by Mercedes, etc and then I came around a corner on the autobahn and there were about 15 cars in various stages of carnage...felt like I was driving through the aftermath of a battle... the rear fog light is important in Europe, but probably just confuses Americans who are unaware of it. Bob in C Springs

2001 Boxster S with REAR fog light.
Motobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
I know I've been pulled over and fined for having my fog lights on in my SUV when conditions didn't warrant the use.
Really? That's great. I wish more people would get cited for that...

Incorrectly used rear fog lights are 10x more annoying than front lights. When used in clear weather, they are bright enough to be confused with brake lights and they make the driver look like a moron. Seems to be prevalent in Audi A6 community.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:36 AM   #7

Quote:

" I know I've been pulled over and fined for having my fog lights on in my SUV when conditions didn't warrant the use. "

That's a chicken sh@@ ticket. Most cops would be embarassed to write someone up for that. Especially since, when properly aimed, well-designed foglights emit no more glare than a headlight on low beam...and preferably less.

...now, if any front facing low beam lamps or supplemental low beam lighting is mis-aimed (or a cheap design) and producing glare to oncoming traffic....that's a whole different story. And, in Ca, driving lamps are defined as high-beam supplements.

Last edited by michael_dba; 01-05-2009 at 08:38 AM.
michael_dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:08 AM   #8

Garage
Mine are OEM on the Sequoia and are on the lowest part of the front end. They give me more peripheral vision than forward.

Samson, about your comment;

“That's great. I wish more people would get cited for that...”

Blow me!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Samson, about your comment;

“That's great. I wish more people would get cited for that...”

Blow me!
While driving? Last I checked, you can get a ticket for that too...
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #10

I am familiar with rear fogs, having owned two volvos.... an S60R (modded the crap out of it and then sold it - VERY fast, but nowhere near as fun as my Boxster) and an S70 T5 I still use as a DD - both had/have rear fogs - but they have obvious switches that make it obvious you are turning on a light of some sort...

on the boxster - I suspected I may have turned mine on, but wasn't sure how. I did figure out that pulling the headlight knob toward myself would turn on front fogs, but I was NOT aware that there were "multiple" clicks I could pull it out and activate a rear fog.

thanks for the info. so is this kind of like my watch dial - one click adjusts the date and two clicks out adjusts the time?? like that.. I pull it out one click to do the front fogs and another "click" outward to turn on the rear as well?

so you can't have JUST the rear fog on and NOT the fronts...

interesting.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:56 PM   #11

If I got pulled over/fined for having my front fog lights on I would go ballistic. I would go to court with my lawyer and make sure the cop looks like a moron in front of the judge/bailiff/bystanders. That is just ridiculous. I'm not paying tax dollars for crap like that.

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:48 AM   #12

No one around here pays any attention to fogs, because nearly every car equipped has them turned on. I use mine on my DD as daytime running lamps if the sky is dark and cloudy (better to be seen). They work nicely on the Box since the light pods just kind of glow with them on.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #13

Rear FOg Lamp - Moving to Europe

I need to change the RH fog lamp to be on the LH as I'm moving from UK to Europe. Does anyone know how to do this please?
breward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #14

AFAIK it's just a matter of moving the bulb over to the other side. It's cheaper for them to make identical assemblies for left/right hand drive models and leave out the opposite bulb.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:42 AM   #15

Screw 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragdude
If I got pulled over/fined for having my front fog lights on I would go ballistic. I would go to court with my lawyer and make sure the cop looks like a moron in front of the judge/bailiff/bystanders. That is just ridiculous. I'm not paying tax dollars for crap like that.

I couldn't agree more, I use my fog lights whenever I please. I want as much light on the road in front of me as I can get and I have NEVER been stopped.

J T
J Tinsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #16

seriously? is that true? if i wanted both rear lights to work, all i have to do is buy another bulb?

i remember when i first got the car, i thought the switch was broken. i remember checking the bulbs and didn't see an empty slot. or is it a matter of getting the "correct" bulb in the socket?
tuanle16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:21 PM   #17

Why don't you take the tail lights out? It only takes 2 mins to do.

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote