Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 05:23 PM   #1

Your Toy Car

A lot of people own a Porsche as a toy car, but if you do, what does that really entail for you? What do you do with yours? Just drive around all day 'round town?

Nineteen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #2

Toy Car

Depends on your definition of "toy". My wife and I have our regular daily vehicles. We don't "need" the Boxster so technically it is a toy. The Boxster is for running errands on weekends without the kids, driving to the park for a picnic, and sunny days with the top down. It replaces a motorcycle that served the same purpose but my wife never felt safe on the bike. Gives me an opportunity to drive a manual that otherwise I'd never get by with. It has a more practical mission for the future. When my youngest son goes off to college in 2 years, he gets my regular car and I get the Boxster for my daily driver, which gives me an excuse to buy a hardtop. Not looking forward to driving in mid-winter in Missouri, although if it's bad enough I can either take leave and stay home, or drive my wife's SUV (she teleworks and so her SUV is a garage queen already).
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:21 PM   #3

Our Boxster could be call a toy. The wife and I both have other cars to drive.
When the weather is bad the Boxster stays in the heated garage. When the weather is good and the roads are clean, she will drive the Boxster. I drive my car over 1500 miles per week, so the Box isn't ever going to be my daily driver but I do love to driver her when I'm home.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #4

The Box is my DD.

The 911SC stays parked waiting for nicer days.
past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #5

Most days I drive 2 of my younger kids to school, so I need the back seat. My DD is a Jaguar XJR. Whenever I can, I drive my Boxster. When the kids are out of school for the summer, the Boxster becomes my DD. I enjoy my Jag, but I love driving my Boxster.

Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
Porscheectomy

Mine's a 100% toy. It never sees the road during winter, rarely gets driven to work, and has to split seat time with another toy car on drives through the mountains, track time and "decompressing" drives aound town. It sees only a couple thousand miles a year.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #7
FTD

I drive the Boxster whenever I feel like it. Its not a DD per se, nor is it a fair weather or weekend car. But, it is a toy. My Accord is nearly 11 years old. I refer to it as my money maker. The Box is my money pit. Haha. The Honda is transportation and sometimes I have to load it up like Jed Clampett's truck. Pure function. Taking the Box to a track or autocross, or playing around in the mountain twisties - that is pure fun and totally toy. Getting winter time cabin fever and taking the Box out with the top down and the heater blasting - Just what I need sometimes.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo23dog
The Box is my DD.

The 911SC stays parked waiting for nicer days.
Must be Va thing.
Go Army
Rick V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:07 AM   #9

My work truck is a '98 Rodeo. The Box gets more play than just tooling around on weekends, though-if the weather is good I'll take it to work as long as I know I'm not going to any job sites. Unless they're in the mountains and I know I'm not going to get muddy...
As I like to tell coworkers who ******************** about work, it's hard to complain about my job when I'm driving home in a Porsche.
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #10

My Box is a fair weather commuter, a weekend cruiser and an autocross weapon. It sees about 10K miles per year and about 30 autocross events per year. In snow it stays snug in the garage.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #11

The Boxster is a toy. Having said that.... it is a Toy, not a Museum Piece. It will get dirty, things will break and it might not always get the attention it needs. If money gets tight, it will be the first thing to sell.

I do try to limit the number of toys I buy. No use owning something if it doesn't get used.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:06 AM   #12

The Box S is the fourth out of five cars in the family (we have three other DD's). It is my car to drive in nice weather, only. It is the usual "choice of ride" to drive to my summer home in Wisconsin on the weekends; that said, it gets less than 2500 miles of use per year.

My "toy" is my trick '73 911 that I track in PCA and other events. Set up for vintage racing, it is a blast to drive hard and is pretty quick for a 2.4.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95

Last edited by jmatta; 12-29-2008 at 11:10 AM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:02 PM   #13

Boxster is purely a toy, not driven in inclimate weather nor during winter months. I have a company vehicle as a DD and the wife has a minivan to haul the kids around. Up until recently we had multiple toys (cars, boats, jet skis, four wheelers etc.). Storage, maintenance, etc. was a horrendous pain in the rear and frankly none of them was used enough to justify having them. The wifey and I decided on one toy car would do (for now), besides, the kids are all car freaks and very close to driving age..........hummmmm............
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:15 PM   #14

My '03 Boxster S is really a toy. The 5th car in our small fleet. Other toys include a modified 2005 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon and my 1980 TR8. All the toys get stored in the winter, and my wife and I drive the daily drivers that include an all wheel drive SUV and 4WD Pickup. I plan to use the Boxster pretty much as a daily driver in the summer, but will really only drive it on nice days.

Dave S.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:39 AM   #15

My Boxster is my daily driver, but it's also a "toy" car because I take it to the track for DE events. My '02 Pontiac Firehawk is a cruiser; only driven during good weather as it takes too long to wash it, never park it in a crowded lot, stuff like that.

Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote