986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Santa is NOT Coming to Town! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19099)

TimAustinW 12-18-2008 06:44 PM

Santa is NOT Coming to Town!

Well, all my projects for my Boxster are officially on hold.

One week before Xmas and both me and my wife got laid off from Midway Studios Austin. They shut the whole studio down. So if anyone here is in the Video Game or Film Industries looking to hire a Lead or Senior Level Environment Artist and a Producer specializing in Outsourcing let me know... :barf:

My Website

:dance:

JAAY 12-18-2008 06:50 PM

Tough time to get laid off. Best of luck to you two. Keep your head up. Good things will come.
Jay

JBIM 12-18-2008 06:53 PM

Good luck. Hang on.

23109VC 12-18-2008 07:09 PM

that sucks! what a rotten time lay people off...

it's a sign of the times - more and more businesses are going under. not that it will make your situation any better - but I don't think you are going to be alone - it is going to get worse before it gets better.

I"m starting to think I shoudl invest in drugs and alcohol - because as this economy gets worse, the only thing to bet on is that people will want to get high/drunk to avoid the reality that is the US economy...

the budget may be tight - but somehow the people on food stamps and welfare always seem to have money for cigarettes and booze... :)

keep your chin up and don't give up. something will turn up.

Lil bastard 12-18-2008 07:16 PM

OUCH! Sorry for that!

But, take the bright side and put it behind you until after the holidays and enjoy the extra time you both have together and with friends.

Things will work out for you after the start of the new year, I sure.

tboyer 12-19-2008 01:32 AM

Man, bummer....it will get better, try to keep your spirits up. Tough times for lots of folks. Obviously you're very talented, you guys will be fine.

vath2001 12-19-2008 03:53 AM

Your not alone. Due to the present economic conditions with the Detroit 3. I will be spending January at home waiting to see what happens. The boxster will get a good cleaning and the little projects will be addressed, but no money will be spent.

Misery loves company.

9eighty6 12-19-2008 04:32 AM

Hang in there Timmy ... you will get through this.

litteng 12-19-2008 05:10 AM

thankfullness and good tidings of great Joy

I have seen the end of a number of employment positions and longer breaks between contracts, my God has always provided for our needs and we have never gone hunger, and i would suspect you should also be able to say that just from looking at your resume ...you can weather this

and we are in the season of tidings of great Joy; for one the birth of the saviour,

It seems that without massive present spending our commercialized christmas seems empty but in fact, will still have lots to celebrate, and be joyful for regardless how small the presents under the tree.

i have found that these breaks are good times to do things with the family, the toys aren't nearly as important, but the love we can give and the joy we share are what will be remembered.

its up to you

FTD 12-19-2008 05:41 AM

Hope this helps

I was unemployed for 8.5 months during 2002/2003 due to the recession and IT and dot com crash. I knew it was coming, so I set out to enjoy it. It was only an attitude. I didn't want my time off to be a memory of anxieties, but instead to embrace it as time off. [Ignoring the without pay aspect.] The first six months were great. After that I got tired of it and my countenance crumbled. Lots of 'God stories' came out of it, including the crumbled countenance period.

My contract ends March 1. I have no idea what the future looks like. My Plan B is a useless plan and I am trying to devise a Plan C. I am also trying to regain the attitude I had in 2002. Don't worry. That won't accomplish anything good. Find enthusiasm. Be excited. One day at a time. Pray for guidance.
I also recommend reading the Old Testament. There are some really wild stories in there.

Peace and Blessings to you and your wife. The world is your oyster.

Brucelee 12-19-2008 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 23109VC

it's a sign of the times - more and more businesses are going under. not that it will make your situation any better - but I don't think you are going to be alone - it is going to get worse before it gets better.

I"m starting to think I shoudl invest in drugs and alcohol - because as this economy gets worse, the only thing to bet on is that people will want to get high/drunk to avoid the reality that is the US economy...

the budget may be tight - but somehow the people on food stamps and welfare always seem to have money for cigarettes and booze... :)

Pfizer, Merck, Glaxo, Bristol Myers Squibb. Digaeo, Inbev.

Also, Altria, Phillip Morris, Reynolds American.

Good luck.

:dance:

Brucelee 12-19-2008 06:09 AM

Hang in there. Have a peaceful Christmas.

:)

FTD 12-19-2008 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 23109VC

I do believe a liquor store is a recession proof business.

TimAustinW 12-19-2008 01:57 PM

Thanks for all the kind words! You guys rock! :cheers:

jmatta 12-19-2008 02:14 PM

Hang in there...it could be worse. You could be in the real estate lending business (like me).

We bought my son a pre-driven Jeep Liberty last week; salesperson said it was her first sale of the month!

But let's see, Congress voted themselves a pay raise for all their important efforts recently.

Even worse, you could live in Illinois, as I do. "Where do Illinois governors go after serving the state? Jail"

I like the 986 on the plate...at least it keeps the post on topic!

ekam 12-19-2008 03:13 PM

Man, you worked on Fight Club the video game?

Ok you redeemed yourself with Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Jaxonalden 12-19-2008 03:29 PM

Keep the faith Tim, and ask for God's help. I'll be praying for you and your wife to find prosperity again. Merry Christmas :cheers:

Fletch986 12-19-2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
Keep the faith Tim, and ask for God's help. I'll be praying for you and your wife to find prosperity again. Merry Christmas :cheers:

X2 God Bless

TimAustinW 12-19-2008 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekam
Man, you worked on Fight Club the video game?

Ok you redeemed yourself with Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Just the cinematics/FMVs while at Blur. Nothing to do with the game dev team. But I agree. The game could have been so much more than a fighter. It was at least fun to recreate the basement of Lou's Tavern in 3D.

941MXVET 12-19-2008 08:15 PM

I'm sorry to hear that you've been laid off. With that being said, the times which I've been laid off, I've often stressed and fretted too much. I wish I could go back and enjoy some of those times knowing that when things turn, I've always been right back to work. Good luck, :cheers: