Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2008, 08:56 AM   #1

Bose vs. non-Bose audio question

How much difference is there in the Bose and the non-Bose stereo systems?

I have been looking at some used S models out there. I would prefer a Bose system, and it seems like most of the S models seem to have it as an option. I know you can't add it later. I'd hate to get one without the Bose, only to be disappointed with it later. I also don't want to pass up a good car because it doesnt have little "Bose" emblems on the speakers.

Is the difference noticable?

Thanks,

Joe

TorpedoZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:15 AM   #2

The Bose system is more powerful and has more bass. It has a small box with a couple small subs behind the seats with two small mid-range speakers on it. If you are an audiophile you'll probably be disappointed in the Bose system, but it is noticeably better than the Hi-Fi or base radio systems.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:29 AM   #3

Smile Bose or NoBose

joe,
unfortunately, the Stereo on our Box is not at par or superior to cars much cheaper than the Boxster, so if you are shopping for Box S with front speakers, sound would be decent but not great, having the Bose system would definetely be much better. aside from the Subwoofer option that would give you that added punch aside from the little trumpet like with Bose logo on it.
if you're not too particular with listening to audiophile music, you would very much enjoy the exhaust note coming from the 3.2 right behind you, and it;s music to the ear.
you are right, don't pass off a BoxS just because it doesn't have the Bose option, but then again if you are patient enough, there's plenty of them with this option.
good luck.
t2
t2-bxtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:52 AM   #4

having owned a convertible years ago, and now having a boxster - I consider the stereo in a drop top to be low priority. when the top is down I'd rather listen to the car, and given the wind noise - you can't really enjoy a $$ stereo anyway. when the top is up there is still a fair amount of noise intruding into the car, making it not really conduvice to having an "audiophile" system.

my daily driver is much quieter and I have a nice system to enjoy in that car. if the boxser WAS my daily driver, and I spent substantial top up/commuting time behind the wheel, then I might spend money to upgrade the system - but I still think i'd avoid going nuts

in my opinion - the best music this car makes comes from the motor. everything else is just static....
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:56 AM   #5

Personally I have had Boxsters with and without the Bose system. If you find a great car at a great price without the Bose, then go for it. If it has the Bose, all the better, but it should not be a deal breaker without a Bose system.
vincesf
Old 12-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #6

Garage
I love my Bose system when I'm driving around. I have a certain run I make when I'm driving home from work. I de-stress going through the twisties around a local lake and the sub-thumping dance music makes it that much better. It's heaven on earth.

It's also a nice little option to have when selling.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:11 PM   #7
Track rat

Garage
I listen to a lot of music... almost never in the Boxster. When I need critical listening I use an ipod and quality in ear monitors. Probably not legal... stuff happens. High end audio in a rag top sports car just seems out of place to me.

My Porsche listening tests:
Base stereo system is painful to listen to. Bose system is decent but not great. Favorite system in a Cayman had an Alpine head and Boston Acoustic high end speakers. It was marvelous.

All purely one drivers opinion.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:43 PM   #8

Thanks for the input. It would probably bug me to know that cars that cost half as much have better stereo systems.

Joe
TorpedoZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:19 PM   #9

Stereo in a sports car, such as the Boxster, really is a waste IMO. The music from the motor, intake and exhaust is all I need (as others have mentioned).

I removed the stereo from my 911 just because of that. The only time the one in the Box is used is when my 18 year old drives with me...even then I prefer he listen to his iPod if he needs music that bad.

My friend's S has the Bose system...to me, it sounds muddy and booming; better left off. I have the full aray of speakers in my S, including Harvey's rear kit; think I've used it three times in three years.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #10

Since you're asking, it's most likely because you enjoy music.

Hands down, the BOSE system is better than the base system. With the top down, it's amazing the way the music carries; obviously designed with this in mind as well.

Are there better systems? Probably. But as was also posted, when the time comes that you find just the right car (an S) you'll make the right decision about the sound system too.

wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote