Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #1

Driver's door won't open...Sometimes

I walk back to my locked car and press the button to "unlock" it. It unlocks and I go to pull the handle to open the driver's door and the window rolls down maybe a half inch like it would if you were to open the door, but the door won't open. I have to walk around to the passenger side and open that door, sit down, shut the door, start the car, lock and then unlock it, turn it off and then go back around to the driver's side and open the door successfully. This only happens 1 in 10 times, but its super annoying. Anybody have any idea why this car would do such a thing?

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:47 PM   #2

this is embrassing having to get in through my pass side, start the car, lock/unlock, turn it off and walk back around to get in my car. Throw me a bone...somebody

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:16 AM   #3

With out doing any research, I would say an actuator is sticking...

Just leave the top down and "hop in" each time

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:22 PM   #4

Recently with the cold weather (~20F ) in VA my doors have been experiencing similar. Although Mine I believe is with the windows. They dont fully drop the half inch they're supposed to. The door will open at times but the window isnt low enough to close the door. I have to wait for it to warm up and then it'll drop.

Not as a hijack but with the actuator or the window mechanism to lower the window, could this (above mentioned and OP's issue) be addressed by re-greasing the actuator/mechanism? I know with my old MG I had to make sure that some of this was properly lubed to function smooth. With my 987 I'm a bit unfamiliar with whether or not I would need worry about this type of maintenance

THoughts?

ApoloV is offline   Reply With Quote