Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 08:08 PM   #1

IWantAPorsche.net

I want to get your honest opinions, I'm a college student with a pretty good outlook on life and I've never done anything negative as far as getting in touble with the law or done any drugs etc. so I believe myself to be a pretty good kid, night and day I dream about saving up to buy a Porsche of my own... I know what you may be thinking though... This punk kid doesn't need a Porsche he'd end up hurting himself or acting stupid, but I assure you that's not the case.

Now onto my initial inquiry, I have seen this website that Randall ( I believe that to be his name ) and I sent him a message asking him, and basically asking for his approval for me to build a website similar to his, asking for donations to fund my dream basically, in this time of economic decline I find that many people would probably not be willing to do so, especially to someone like me, but what is your honest opinion on something like this? Would you donate even just $1?

One of my higher-up's here at work, has had 3 911 Turbos and that only fuels my desire because we talk about his cars and how he used to smoke anyone that tried to race him, he's an older guy and he knows I want one... not to mention, right down the street on the corner (I swear the heavens (lol) are messing with me) because there's a body shop and I'm guarenteed to see a Porsche there every day (not crashed, it's the owners or a friends) I see either a yellow 911 GT2, a black 911 Carrera or an all white, yellow-tinted headlight racing 911 with slicks (Ive seen him peel off and down the road and nearly had people honking at me to go cause the line had turned green cause of the beatiful sight I was seeing in my rear-view....

Now, sorry for the elongated post, but I ask for your opinions on what you think about such a project...

Old 11-28-2008, 08:21 PM   #2

I think you should do whatever you want to do. Why do you need anyone's opinion? If you wait for people to agree with the plans you make for your future, you are surely going to miss out on some successful plans.

Erci
Old 11-28-2008, 08:56 PM   #3

i say put more hours in at work.

i say this because i am a "young" porsche owner by most people's standards (I'm 23) and the best advice i ever got was "if you want something, stop at nothing to get it"

so i developed an amazing work ethic in a field that i love and enjoy

don't ask for handouts, ask for work

everything else will fall into place.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:43 PM   #4

Use the motivation to own a Porsche to complete school and aim high when getting a job.

I got a 944 (cheap) when I was 16, now I have that built up as a race car and my daily is a 987. I set a goal that my next car would be a Boxster and low and behold it was. Within 5 years (I'll be 28 or so) I want to own a GT3. I also want to build a Boxster Spec as well. These things are what make my life worth living, therefore I have motivation to excel at work and make lots of $$$$$$$$.

My suggestion would be to start out with a cheaper Porsche and work your way up. If you jump in to deep to begin with the sticker shock when parts break might be too much. Simple things like maintenance items get more expensive as you go to 911's and especially turbos. Boxsters are common enough that parts are available and affordable as far as Porsche parts go (10x normal cars).

Drive what you love love what you drive.
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
Old 11-29-2008, 03:19 AM   #5

Donations?

Setting up a website and asking for donations to help you get a Porsche? I won't be donating. I bought my 986 using my money and it gets repaired using my labor. If you want something bad enought, you'll work for it. I'll offer free advice... which many times is worth what you paid for it.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:03 AM   #6
FTD

I tend to want something in return for my money. Even a bake sale or a car wash has more integrity than holding out a cup with a sign. When I give to the church or a soup kitchen, I know that someone is getting something in return. A website could be a great business venture [or adventure] but you need to give people something in return. And it needs to be something people will give up their money for or is popular enough to warrant advertising/sponsorship. Keep studying and planning and setting goals and working hard. Don't expect hand outs or a pot of gold to fall out of the sky and take you there.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:37 AM   #7

A very few people may donate, but these help-me-fulfill-my-dream stunts have been on the internet before and are all stale by now. The web moves quickly and these just aren't a novelty anymore. By the way, you can't count on me to give anything either.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:14 AM   #8

"something for nothing" What a novel concept...

There once was this young girl that wanted to raise $5,000 for a boob job so she made a web site but the catch was that if you donated $ she would send you a picture of the end results! For some guys that was worth the donation.

Follow stateofidleness advice! There is nothing more rewarding than working hard and earning the right to drive your first Porsche.

My advice is as follows: take every penny that you've got and put it in the stock market and let it bake for 5 years. Right now there are some really cheap stocks that will make you a lot of money, if you're patient. If all that you've got is $500 start there.

If you can't wait for 5 years, get a second job or work hard to get that promotion and more compensation.

Good luck.
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
Old 11-29-2008, 05:55 AM   #9

As a teenager, I thought the most beatiful car in the world was a Trans Am. I had pictures of them on my bedroom wall, I read every publication I could get my hands on and I knew everything there was to know about the car. I wanted one so much that it hurt. I worked two jobs while still going to school and saved every penny that I could. That was my car money. I wouldn't even buy a class ring because I would have to take money out of my savings for my car. I have never worked so hard for anything in my life.
In 1978, I read that the '79 year model was to be the last of the 400ci and 4 speed cars and that only a few would be produced then. I stayed in a panic for weeks. I had no credit and didn't have enough to buy the car. I worked a full time job that paid overtime and I worked every hour that I could but I didn't know if I had enough....I visited the dealers in my area. One dealer had already sold his last one, one dealer had a couple coming in.
I convinced the dealer to sell me my dream car. I paid every dollar I had saved and my payment was $223 per month and it was mine.
I washed that car when it was so cold that the water froze on the hood, I sat it it just to listen to the radio...or the 8 track, and I checked out it's reflection every time I drove past a building with plate glass windows. I loved that car.
I kept my Trans Am through getting married...the wife was not allowed to drive it, through the birth of my first and second child and many lean times.
Now, 30 years later, I have had many nice cars but none have ment to me what that 1979,400ci,4 speed, silver with red interior Trans Am did.
Nobody gave me one dollar to buy my dream car and looking back on it, I think that made the bond between me and the car stronger.
Good luck with the Porsche...I really hope you get it and I really hope you earn it.

I wish I had that Trans Am back.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:56 AM   #10
EE3racing

Do whatever you are comfortable with, however, in a world where some people can't get a sandwich, asking for donations for a Porsche seems, well... egocentric. Don't come back here telling us it worked beyond your dreams or the day after I think there will be a lot of "I need a GT2" .coms...As others have said, save for it then you can really appreciate it and tell the boss who would do anything to have his youth back to stop tormenting you with his wealth.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:38 AM   #11

I'm 52, my investments are a mess, I'll have two kids in college soon, own multiple real estate properties that have lost value with the market depression. I have two Porsches, one that I can't afford to race due to the unnecessary expense.

Should I start a website called www.ineedalife.com?

If you want something, work for it. The only ones getting handouts these days are banks and insurance companies.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
Old 11-29-2008, 06:51 AM   #12

Garage
Integrity in Posts

Brucelee,

Why are posts like this allowed on your site? These are no more than junk mail, telemarketing people looking for a handout. Kid, if your legit, get a job and save your money and then buy your car like the rest of us. Coming here and asking us for money so you can "live your dream" is BS. This is the problem with a majority of today's youth, no-one whats to get dirty and do the work and save. They would rather just punch a few keys on a computer and collect a ton of cash. Sorry buddy, but your not going to be Bill Gates by asking for money.

BTW, when you hand over your hard earned cash you'll appreciate the car even more.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:01 AM   #13

LOL.....I think the boy got his answer. Whatever happened to Shame?
Old 11-29-2008, 07:52 AM   #14

Well I want to give a genuine thank you to those that replied with some helpful advice, I guess I should've mentioned that I work full-time and go to school full-time and I wasn't really looking to this idea as a "Grab my hand and drag me to the finish line." more of a "Help me up the last few steps" kinda thing, but nonetheless I appreciate your responses, thank you.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #15

What you guys fail to see is that this young man is just following an already established formula. One of our own respected forum members started his own website to get donations to buy his Boxster (which he did) and now is still seeking donations to add a turbo kit.

http://www.iwantaporsche.net/

Now how much this really worked for him I don't know, but it sure can't hurt for this new guy to give it a shot! It probably won't buy him the car straight up, but as he pointed it out, it might help a little. Yes, the timing given the current economy is poor though.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Old 11-29-2008, 09:30 AM   #16

Thank you Kirk! I also would like to add that, I don't want to be perceived as a lazy kid asking for a handout, just someone asking for a hand up the final step in the ladder, but I'm currently in the situation you guys were in before you had the pleasure of seeing a Porsche in your driveway. I obviously cannot do so at the current time because I'm trying to fund my own aspirations, but I would most certainly guarentee that I would be willing to give a helping hand to the next person looking for that extra push towards their Porsche dreams, I wouldn't buy their car, most deffinately not, but I would be willing to make a donation, as I kindly ask you to consider. I most certainly will get my Porsche, sooner or later, I strive to get there one day soon, and as I stated, I nonetheless thank you for your time & opinions.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:32 AM   #17
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
If you want to put up a donations site, I don't see why you can't. But I don't see a donation site for a Porsche getting more than $100-200 at the most. Randall even says, "I didn't get tons of money," he said his wife donated most of the money.
The girl that set up the site to get rid of her debt had a story people could relate too, most people aren't going to sympathetic to a guy who wants a Porsche.

You might also want to consider the cost of buying a website and paying to have it hosted. It would be fun to see if anyone gave you any money, but in this economy I wouldn't count on covering your hosting fees.
It's a good idea but I think that if you seriously want a Porsche there are better ways to get one that asking for donations.
Just my $0.02! Good Luck!
Old 11-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #18

Well I actually have a website and a host already, it's unrelated to a Porsche but I do have that, all I would have to do is add on the domain... and in saying that, I do have website experience I could probably offer graphical services or some kind of aid in that department in return
Old 11-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #19

Your original post did not mention an established "nest egg" for the Porsche purchase, it simply asked for peoples' opinions on your web site donation idea. I doubt many here acquired their Porsches from anything other than hard work. If it works for you more power to you, but I stand by my prior response.....I personally would be ashamed to ask others to donate so that I could buy a Porsche. Just my .02.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #20
EE3racing

Since I'm turning 50 please stop by www.ineedcosmeticsurgery.com and help a brother out, thank you...

Closed Thread